To The College Student That Feels All Alone At Her Big University

Going to college and being away from home can be difficult especially when you go to a big university and feel all alone!

121

Leaving high school behind also means leaving prior friendships behind as well for most students heading out to pursue college, especially if that college is out of state!

Going to college out of state means that you most likely go in not knowing a single person. That can be extremely intimidating and scary. When you go to a school where the campus is gigantic and the student body is around 35,000 individuals, it can be difficult to find your own place within that college and stand out amongst the rest of the crowd.

Sororities and fraternities are a wonderful way to get involved on campus, meet new people and make new friends. However, if you are like me and that is not your cup of tea, then finding your own place at college and meeting new people can be intimidating and difficult. I am one who hates to go to events alone and I tend to stay to myself due to that and it becomes very lonely here at college.

Going from an enormous amount of friends with in high school to feeling all alone and as if you have no one at college definitely can make your college experience go south.

I want you to know that you are not the only one who feels alone in a college campus where everywhere you turn are new faces and possible future friends. Not being a part of an organization, sports team, sorority or fraternity can make meeting people seem hard and intimidating. Not going to parties or out on the town might not be your scene and can make it seem like you are missing out on a lot of the college experience. But, we as individuals need to figure out our own place within our college and find our own ways to get involved and meet others. There are so many clubs and programs to join when you go to college, especially when you go to a huge university.

Coming from the girl who spends her days in her apartment never leaving unless it is for class, being cooped up inside all the time can actually make you feel worse and more lonely. Thankfully, I was able to bring my wonderful dog with me to my second year of college and spending time with him makes me feel so much better!

Whether it is getting a pet or joining a club or other program at college, we as students need to get involved and stay active to keep from withering our college experiences away by being inside all alone every single day. Trust me, I know it can be scary and seem like a lot of work to try and find your place within your own college amongst so many other people, but once you do you will open up the door to so many more new possibilities.

Putting yourself out there will bring you friends, activities to do and more that, will keep you from feeling all alone when you have no one from 'home' around you!

Thankfully, I have a few individuals who I am blessed to call my friends and make my college experience a lot better when we get the chance to do things together!