To The College Student Lacking A 'Support Team,' You Are Not Alone

Never stop believing in your dreams
17

We are three weeks into college.

It's Labor Day weekend.

Everyone is going home, getting visits from parents.

All my roommates and friends are heading home for the weekend.

I'm not. A friend invited me to go home with her, so that will be my trip for the weekend.

I moved out of my grandmother's home 8 months ago. We didn't agree on a certain situation, and I chose to leave. I have had to adjust to being an adult very fast. I worked my butt off through the rest of my senior year and worked full time over the summer. But I made it. I made it to my first choice. I'm here and I'm 40 credits ahead of most of my class. I am a special education major with a minor in equine therapeutics and I will continue to work my tail off to where I want to be in my life and career.

My boyfriend, now fiancé, was my biggest supporter, besides God Himself, through all of this. He never failed to push me not to give up, even when all I wanted to do was curl up in defeat. He would remind me how far I've come and what I'm working towards.

It hurts not being able to go home. I feel very isolated at times. My friends talk about how their families cried on move in day, and how much they miss them. They talk about the care packages and all the FaceTime calls. It hurts. And no I'm not complaining. It's just how I feel. I chose this path for myself when I moved out, but that doesn't mean I can't be a little crestfallen.

I look forward to my fiancé's visits. I look forward to seeing him and feeling a huge smile just come across my face knowing that I have him in my life. Knowing that I had him to help me move in, and stay with me until my roommates got there since I was able to move in early. I love knowing that I still have a support team. Not only in him, but all the people who have supported me that weren't family by blood but by heart and love.

For the people who think they have no one to support or help them through a large milestone in their life, look around. Your support doesn't have to be your family. It doesn't have to be a significant other. It can be friends, church members, people you've known forever..and even the people you never would have imagined care for and want to help you.

I know I found my support team. I am starting to build a relationship back with some of my family members, and I pray that I am able to mend some relationships. I have learned the importance of relationships with the people you love. I have learned that forgiveness is something very difficult to obtain, but so worth it. I am ready to embrace my life and anything God sends my way. I am ready to overcome the rest of this school year and everything it may hold. I am ready to embrace myself for who I am.

So thank you.

Thank you to my fiancé, who helped me through everything and stayed even when I pushed him away.

Thank you to the many people who have helped me along the way *cough* Cheryl Cook *cough*. I couldn't love you guys more.

Thank you God for casting Your light on me and helping me through the good and the bad days. Thank You for never leaving my side. Thank You for walking my path with me, no matter how many times I tripped and struggle.

Never stop believing in your dreams and yourself.