Eat At A Restaurant By Yourself

Eat At A Restaurant By Yourself

The stigma attached to solidarity

17
Eat At A Restaurant By Yourself
Google Images

Ever since I was little, I have been very independent and not afraid to do things by myself. I would sign up for camp, tennis lessons, Girl Scouts, cheerleading, etc. without knowing a single person. I went into these activities with an open mind, and I didn't let the fact that I didn't know anybody hold me back.

As I got older, I continued the cycle of doing things by myself. It's not that I don't enjoy the company, it's more the fact that I don't mind doing things alone. If none of my friends are averrable to go shopping, I will happily go to the mall by myself and have a serious shopping spree. If i'm hungry and nobody is around, I'll hit up Panera with my favorite book. I hear all too often, that people hate doing things alone. The thought of going to a dance without a date gives them anxiety; eating in the cafeteria alone is embarrassing. The stigma attached to doing things solo, is negative and I think that's ridiculous.

We live in a society that puts an emphasis on popularity. People feel that by doing things alone, that they are unpopular. With apps such as Snapchat and Instagram, there is some serious pressure to constantly update the exciting adventures that you and your "squad" are going on. I feel that this is a big reason why people are afraid to do things alone. They want to prove to others that they do indeed have friends, and not a "lonely loser". Going to college and not knowing anybody is a serious concern for many incoming freshman and transfer students. Instead of viewing this as a negative, view it as a chance to branch out.

Go to a club meeting by yourself, or go up to a group of kids in the dining hall and say, hey! Doing things alone isn't awkward or embarrassing; it's awesome, and a actually a great way to recharge. Now I dare every person who read this article to go to a restaurant and sit alone. I promise you won't die from the hundreds of judgmental stares, and nobody will record your unfortunate Sunday brunch. Once you complete your dare, feel free to sound off in the comments about your experaince eating alone.