6 Signs You've Outgrown Your High School Friends

Don't feel guilty about outgrowing friends.
505

Sure, we've had some great laughs, we were each other's shoulders to cry on when things went wrong, we went on wild adventures, and we made some awesome memories, but that doesn't mean we should feel bad about outgrowing each other as friends. Maybe they changed and maybe you changed, but that's not the problem, and nor does it matter. It's heartbreaking to even think that friendships can come to a crashing halt, or even a slow subtle fade but it comes along with becoming an adult.

Many friendships end in college due to a number of reasons:

1. You have nothing in common

Both of your priorities and goals don't line up properly. You guys may also have different styles and tastes now which makes it hard to have meaningful conversations about anything.

2. They don't celebrate your success

Whether you got a new job, found the boy of your dreams, or put an amazing Instagram filter on your next post, they just don't seem to be happy for you. Friends should build you up, not tear you down.

3. You both lead completely different lives

One of you has a boyfriend, and the other still likes casual hookups. One of you started a new job, and the other is still partying every single night. The list goes on, but in reality, it feels like you guys are on separate planets.

4. You've formed new, stronger friendships

College gives you the opportunity to meet new and exciting people! With so many clubs, and organizations its easier to meet people who better suit your interests. Theres a whole new world of diverse people you didn't get to interact with in high school, which causes you to realize you may have settled in your friend choices.

5. You both never have time to hangout

Sure, your schedules may be different, but people make time for the people they truly want to see.

6. You both only reach out if one of you has a problem

If you find that you're constantly listening to your friend talk about all of their problems and offering them advice, but realize you never get the same effort in return, it's a sign they don't have your best interests at heart, or they're just really self-centered.

Outgrowing friendships in college is not something out of the ordinary, but its still hard to deal with. The first big changes of your life happen in college, which is why it is easy to get left behind, or to leave behind people who aren't on the same frequency as you. People who tell you that you have "changed" do not understand that growing up is all about making changes to become a better person than you were the day before.

All of these things do not mean that you have to stop being friends all together, it may just mean that you need to see and hear from them a little less. It may break your heart not to call them your best friend anymore, but know your value. You shouldn't have to beg someone to like you, spend time with you, or be your friend. Don't feel guilty about growing apart, life is all about growing.

I would like all the people that I have left behind, and may leave behind in the future to know that your friendship has meant the world to me. I would not be who I am today without all the laughs and adventures we have shared together.