Distance, as many know well, is hard. Although contradictory to this article's title, if handled with consideration and seriousness, one won't just have to “deal" with distance but also thrive in the separation and come out with a higher quality relationship than before. Of course, everyone handles relationships differently, so some of these tips may not apply and that's okay

1. Have Patience

Understand if your S.O. cannot have a phone call every day, or vice versa try to sympathize if your S.O. complains your lack of communication. In college, we can all be swept up in our studies, social life, and stress, but your S.O. may be having a different experience (better or worse) and understanding this will help both of you.

2. Have a System

Try to develop a system (but be patient if this is occasionally broken). A 20 minute phone call each night. A long-distance movie date on the weekend. Visiting each other's colleges twice a month. Even something as simple as daily “good morning/goodnight" texts can establish a sense of order that will help you have something to look forward to.

3. Have an End Goal in Mind

Along with having a system, have an end goal. Eventually, for the long distance to work, there will have to be an end sometime. Look forward to being together after graduation, or think of ways to collaborate internships near the other person's campus if this works out. This helps alleviate the stress and hopelessness sometimes long distance can incur when thinking long term.

4. Trust

This may seem silly to reiterate, but trust becomes a lot more important when your SO spends most of their time away from you and may be free to do as they please without you knowing. If you are constantly checking your SO’s location, worrying about them drinking with their friends, or paranoid about their unseen interactions with other people, have a conversation with them or consider if this relationship is worth stressing you out. And also, reassure your SO trusts you — while they should not be able to dictate and control your college experience, take their reservations about you going to that party this weekend seriously and with respect, and have a conversation if needed.

5. Encourage Them

If your partner is going out to a party, be happy they have friends! If they are spending most of the time studying and cannot communicate with them as much, be happy they are doing well in school! Congratulate them on awards, scholarships, sports achievements, leadership positions attained. it's so helpful to know you have your back and support them from miles away. But these are to a certain extent too if their communication is very limited of course and you are upset by this, talk about it and express your concerns.

6. Understand New Problems Will Arise 

New problems may arise that were never a problem before or would have never even been considered when seeing each other regularly. People in new environments and with new forms of important communication may react differently or badly. When four hours apart, texting became so much more important to me, and my S.O.'s sparse and succinct texting style became a problem in a way it hadn't been before; it led to a disagreement, but once we understood each other the distance became easier to handle.

7. Focus on the Positives

While it may not seem like it (especially at first), long distance does have positives. It makes the times you do see your S.O. so much more special. It allows you to demonstrate to your partner your loyalty and also serve as a form of test to see if your relationship is really worth it to both of you. It allows you to focus more on cultivating and maintaining friendships, an important aspect of college. And another important aspect of college, it allows you to practice independence and focus on yourself.

8. FaceTime Each Other 

Technology has made long distance relationships much easier (although they were great, carrier pigeons just didn't cut it sometimes). Take advantage of FaceTime or Skype or Snapchat video calls (unless you prefer not to try to have a serious conversation with your partner who refuses to take the egg head filter off his face); face to face communication is so valuable to human social interaction, and will make the physical absence of your partner more bearable.