This morning, I ordered Valentine’s Day cookies for myself. And Krispy Kreme Donuts. I filled out the forms meant to be Valentine-grams, and I wrote my own name on the “to” and “from” lines. In case this doesn’t tell you, I’m single. I’m celebrating my self this Valentine’s Day. After a year of building my relationship with myself, this is my chance to celebrate where I’m come. I’m celebrating all the family and friends that I love. I don’t know what the people filling the orders will think, but I also don’t care. I love Valentine’s Day, and I’m not going to forsake celebrating just because I don’t have a romantic partner to share it with. As a single lady, I feel like I should hate Valentine’s Day but I don’t. I bought punny cards, and a bag of Dove chocolate hearts. I’ll wear pink and heart earrings on the day of. With that, here is my advice for doing Valentine’s Day while single.
1. Love yourself. You are the only person that will always be there for you. If you don't love yourself, you can't love anyone else.
2. Cry, if you need to. These spots on campus come highly recommended.
3. Tell your friends and family you love them. They're the best Valentines. Galentine's > Valentine's.
4. Watch the Parks and Recreation episode that started it all. In case you need inspiration, here are 23 reasons to celebrate Galentine's Day.
5. Make a playlist of lady power anthems. And dance your heart out.
6. Hug a stuffed animal -- they'll never break up with you.
[Disclaimer: I have one of these bears and hugging one is life changing. Come by my room for free hugs.]
7. Buy your favorite snack. I bought Krispy Kreme, and you should get whatever that snack is for you. Get a pint of Ben & Jerrys and share it with yourself. We won't judge.
Or buy yourself a box of chocolates -- you don't need a significant other to have that heart shaped Whitman's sampler.
8. Share some love with your Wellesley siblings. They will be with you for the rest of your life, through boyfriends and girlfriends and more.
9. Look at some cute animal videos -- they never fail to make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Here are some very good dogs that love you.
10. Wear sexy underwear just for you. There's nothing better than the feeling of knowing you look sexy. I will probably be wearing my hottest underwear under sweats because I'll be ~feelin myself~.
11. Laugh at some punny Valentines online.
12. Listen to everyone's favorite Single Ladies anthem, of course.
13. Buy elementary school style Valentines and give them to all your friends. Remember those big envelopes of Valentines you would get? Power rangers and doilies and candy hearts?
14. Go to the gym and sweat it out- those endorphins will make you feel like you're flying high, even if you're flying solo. I love blogilates on YouTube.
This Valentine's Day, I'm pledging to enjoy my day, abandon moping and celebrate myself, my gal pals and my loved ones. Will you join me?