A Call For Change

A Call For Change

As a society we need to aim for better.

75
A Call For Change

Have you ever felt excluded? Has anyone ever made you feel not worthy of respect? Have you ever felt isolated because of someone’s incorrect preconceived notions? A stigma is a mark of disgrace connected to a specific situation, group, or trait.

The stigma of mental illness not only significantly impacts the public’s perception of those who are affected by mental illness, but also those suffering from it as well. The stigma tells us that certain groups of people are not as worthy of respect than others. Stigma affects millions of people; it’s a mark of shame, disgrace, and disapproval.

Stigma causes us to see certain groups of people as less than human and not worthy of respect.

You can’t just simply “snap out” of a mental illness because there isn’t a switch to flip. Not a day goes by where I haven’t wished that I didn’t have anxiety. I don’t choose to stay up late lying in my bed not able to fall asleep because I’m having an existential crisis daily.

I don’t choose to pace back and forth while on the phone or don’t consciously decide to have irrational fears. I don’t enjoy getting nervous, hyperventilating, and biting my nails because it is habitual and not within my control. If it was simple and convenient to make it all go away don’t you think we’d all have done it by now? There would be no mental disorders if you could just get more exercise, smile more, or just snap out of it.

The stigma of mental illness causes the general public to link mental illness and violence together. One in five Americans, live with a mental disorder (National Alliance on Mental Illness). Does this suggest we should ostracize and dehumanize all those people because of our lack of an accurate perception?

Saying that a criminal is mentally ill because they acted the way they did, negatively impacts those really struggling with mental illnesses. Most criminals certainly aren’t the perfect representation of a quintessentially healthy mental state, but that in no way denotes that they are struggling with a mental disorder or that a mental illness is the reason for their actions.

Calling it craziness makes it easier to understand the things people aren’t willing to understand or simply can’t comprehend, as it’s an easy excuse and conclusion to jump to. Mental illness contributes minimally at best toward criminal behavior while substance abuse and other factors contribute significantly.

Telling someone that because they are struggling with a mental illness suggests that they will be violent and aren’t equivalent humans is traumatizing and critically affects the way they think and the way others think of them. Many people with mental illnesses aren’t criminals. In fact, those suffering from mental disorders are more likely to be victims than opposed to perpetrators.

Dr. Virginia Hiday said, “Researchers at North Carolina State University and Duke University found that those with severe mental illnesses such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are two and a half times more likely to be attacked, raped, or mugged than the general population”(as quoted by SAMHSA).

The myth that mental illness can’t be treated and cannot improve is another product of the stigma, which negatively impacts those struggling with mental disorders and the public’s perception of them. In movies and television programs, characters dealing with mental illnesses get treatment, but rarely ever see any progress, which perpetuates the myth that treatment is ineffective and pointless.

With the right help from a proper therapist and care from family and friends, any mental illness can be treated effectively and can lead to better and stable lives. Otto Wahl said when referring to people with even severe disorders, “[They] can be treated effectively and lead integrated lives in the community if we allow them to”(as quoted in Tartakovsky).

Treatment does help and that needs to be made clear to everyone. Coming to the incorrect conclusion that treatment does not work negatively impacts those suffering from mental illnesses and the public’s perception of them. Family, friends, and co-workers would lack understanding and therefore dismiss the mental illness, which consequently strains their relationship.

Patients would be more reluctant to look for treatment or the help necessary to cope and accommodate their problems. Many might even strongly side with the stigma and bully, harass, and perform violent actions due to their prejudices against those with mental disorders. Also, health insurance wouldn’t adequately cover mental illness treatment, as it would be seen a waste of money and unnecessary if it didn’t work.

And most importantly, by saying treatment doesn’t help causes those struggling with mental disabilities to believe that they can’t succeed and there is no way to improve their situation which is the most harm that could ever be caused. It’s certain that the stigma associated with mental illnesses has a negative impact on those struggling with mental illnesses as well as the public’s perception of them.

It’s most certainly time that we diminish stereotypes and tear down the stigma associated with mental disorders. We should embrace and accept those who do struggle and deal with mental illnesses for who they really are: normal human beings who are struggling and need help and support.

We as a society need to make it clear that it’s okay to be mentally ill and that there is help and care available. We all have struggles and it needs to be said loud and proud that those with mental disorders are no better or no worse than the rest.

The media needs to stop presenting inaccurate representations of mental illness and the public needs to stop believing the negative and degrading representations. The public also needs to be educated on the matter because then they will know the stigma is incorrect and act appropriately.

We also need to give proper diagnosis and accommodations for specific problems and stop sending people to psych wards or telling them to suck it up and deal with their problems. We need to stop tearing people down and start building them up.

We can evolve and better ourselves individually and collectively by supporting those struggling with disabilities. It takes more than one to make a change and hopefully there will come a day when people are not judged and dehumanized for something as trivial as their disabilities.