100 Reasons To Stay Alive

100 Reasons To Stay Alive

Because in our deepest despair we can never seem to find one.

137423
100 Reasons To Stay Alive

Depression is a disease of loneliness. We crave human touch. We crave listening ears and words of advice. But no matter how much we receive, it is never enough. We constantly feel isolated and alone. Sure, we are supported. But we are not understood. That is the missing puzzle piece that provides a strong sense of loneliness.

At the end of the day what we really want is to be understood.

Because the way we think and feel cannot be understood by others we feel completely isolated. We feel stuck and helpless. We feel as though we have nowhere to turn. We are left to cope on our own and figure things out for ourselves. We crave for others to understand what we are going through.

However, we cannot force people to understand. We can only allow them to support us. We must respect that depression is a concept that most will never understand unless they experience it for themselves. When we accept the lack of understanding with the knowledge that there is no one at fault; that is just is, then the loneliness we experience will slowly but surely escape us. We will be one step closer to recovery.

What we can ask people to do is help us remember the things that we would miss - the reasons we should stay alive.

1. The salty smell and calming sound of the beach

2. You would hurt a lot people that love you more than life itself

3. Hot chocolate on cold winter days

4. Your moms smile

5. Your best friends laugh

6. Your little cousins, nieces, and nephews that look up to you

7. The feeling of the sun against your face

8. Hearing the words “I love you”

9. Not being able to sleep/the feeling you get the night before a holiday

10. Birthdays

11. Quiet late night drives

12. Missed opportunities and adventures

13. The feeling of lying in bed after a long day

14. Long hot showers

15. Music that you connect with

16. You have a purpose

17. You can change somebody’s life

18. Snowball fights

19. Concerts

20. Watching people fall

21. As long as you heart is beating, there is hope

22. You will regret dying

23. What if Heaven isn’t real?

24. Marriage

25. You are enough

26. Pain is only temporary

27. Late night food runs with your friends

28. The sound of rain

29. Reading powerful quotes

30. Eating your favorite foods

31. Stars

32. Good movies

33. Having children

34. Staring at clouds and finding pictures within them

35. Meeting new people

36. Your struggle will make you stronger

37. You have a lot of people that love and support you

38. Being able to say, “I made it”

39. Genuine smiles

40. Bonfires

41. You matter

42. Time heals most wounds

43. Your first apartment/house

44. The crunch of leaves in the fall

45. Finding your soul mate

46. Meaningful hugs

47. Being in/attending someone’s wedding

48. You are worth it

49. Sunday night football

50. The smell of Christmas trees

51. People care about you; lots of them in fact

52. Sunsets

53. Ice cream

54. You are brave

55. Things really do get better

56. Dogs

57. Cats

58. Pets in general

59. Rainbows

60. You are amazing

61. The city

62. Traveling

63. Vacations

64. Road trips

65. Hearing awesome stories

66. Inside jokes

67. Coffee

68. Snowmen

69. Your talents

70. You’ll disappoint the people that love you by letting your illness win

71. The feeling of pure joy/happiness

72. You will be happy one day

73. All-nighters with your friends

74. Cuddling

75. Reunions with your friends/high school/college

76. Re-connecting with someone you haven’t talked to in years

77. Smiling

78. Seeing someone else smile

79. You are beautiful

80. Decorating you house/apartment

81. Capturing perfect moments on camera

82. You would be missed

83. Quiet bookstores/small restaurants

84. Your favorite hobby

85. Swimming on a hot day

86. Being cozied up with blankets

87. Feeling refreshed after a nice nap

88. Helping other people

89. Watching the people you love become successful

90. Becoming successful yourself

91. Babies/little kids

92. Cute old people

93. Love stories

94. You are strong

95. You will be proud that you continued to live

96. The feeling of grass under your feet

97. Telling crazy stories

98. The smell of rain

99. Watching lightning

100. YOU ARE LOVED