She Was My Best Friend — But Then Life Happened

And I haven't looked back.
44

When you look back and realize how much your life has changed through the years, usually you sit in amazement. People who you had thought would stay in your life forever are gone just like that and new faces have filled those empty voids in your life. Yet, sometimes you wonder why those people aren't in your life anymore or even what your life would be like if they were still present. So, for all of those people in my life who are no longer here, this one's for you.

Thank you.

To my high school best friend, thank you. Thank you for all of the memories, both good and bad. At one point in my life, our pictures together covered my walls, my phone was full of text messages from you, and our days consisted of crazy shenanigans and contagious laughs. We spent every moment together, we led every organization together, and we played every sport together, our friendship was destined for success, right?

Wrong.

On graduation day, we thought our relationship would never change, but only grow stronger with time. We were going to the same college, we lived minutes apart from one another, and our plans were always made together.

Isn't it funny how life works out?

Looking back today, I'm glad our friendship didn't work out. Once college rolled around, we both changed. Our priorities differed and our life goals did not match up. Texts and hang out sessions became fewer and fewer until they were non-existent in our lives. It was hard at first, getting used to life without you. I felt lost. I didn't know where I fit in the world without you by my side, but I wouldn't be the person I am today if you were still here.

Without our friendship fading, I wouldn't be the same independent, confident, social, motivated, inspired, risk-taking woman I am today.

With that, thank you for all of those high school memories from football games to cafeteria talks to prom, I don't know if I could have survived without you.

More importantly, though, I want to thank you for teaching me to reach outside of my comfort zone and having the confidence to do that when your presence wasn't in my life anymore. I have met so many amazing people, participated in countless of extracurricular activities, discovered my passions, and ultimately found my path in life as a writer, teacher, and woman.

Lastly, I hope life is treating you well. I hope the fading of our friendship has helped you blossom into the woman you want to become and I hope you are working toward and reaching your goals that you have set for yourself.

I wish you nothing but the best.

Your Ex-Best Friend.