I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was 4.
I was even diagnosed again in middle and high school. Asperger's is essentially high-functioning autism, and thus, it has its advantages and disadvantages. However, celebrities such as Elon Musk see it as his superpower. I never thought of it this way. I have to agree with Elon Musk, though.
I won't change who I am, and I accept my differences.
Asperger's certainly allows me to think differently. People with Asperger's also seem to be intelligent, especially in fields such as science and math. Yet, the most important attribute is that most people with Asperger's are usually motivated. Therefore, in the end, they are successful since they are ambitious.
I usually tell people that I am not smart at all.
Instead, I work hard, and sometimes that can be better than being intelligent. Intelligence is something that you could improve over time, but dedication is something special.
Like with anything, Asperger's has its challenges.
For instance, since Asperger's is on the Autism spectrum, I lack some important social skills. I also have a tough time reading certain emotions. Consequently, it can be hard to communicate with others. I am either not talking at all, or I can't stop talking. I did learn how to communicate better over the years, though. Just putting myself out there changed everything for me.
Even though Asperger's can make my life difficult, I couldn't see myself without it, and I confidently say that it has changed my life for the better. It's said to say that I would be a totally different person without it.
You must realize that anyone can do anything, though.
People in the past have a lot of accomplishments, even if they have a disability. It is also still happening today. Asperger's can be a curse, but I rather see it as my superpower.
- 29 Meaningful Quotes From Young Adult Books That Taught Me Life ... ›
- 5 Television Characters That Combat Mental Health Stigmas ›
- Why You Should Never Use the R-Word ›
- 10 Reasons to Thank the Characters of The Big Bang Theory ›
- Super 6: Everyday Superheroes With Autism ›
- 8 Autistic Female Characters You Should Know About ›
- Autism Awareness Day: A Thank You Letter From Someone With ... ›
- Why MCU's Spiderman May Be Autistic ›
- 5 Things You Can Learn About Asperger Syndrome from Watching ... ›
- My Struggles And Experiences Of Having Asperger's Syndrome ›