An Open Letter To The High School You Left Behind

Cheers to the next chapter.

71

It’s me. Sitting in a position I didn’t think I’d be in for a very long time, yet here I am. It seems like just yesterday, walking through the doors a nervous freshman, thinking about all that lied ahead. In the near future — Freshman Friday, the 15 clubs you said you wanted to join and finding your way in a foreign place. And, what seemed then to be the distant future, the SAT/ACT, college applications, prom, graduation. They all seemed so far away, things that wouldn't happen for years. And then they happened, and graduation was yesterday. Days turned to weeks and weeks to months and then you're in your second semester of your senior year. Are you committed to college? That’s something you do when you're older? Where did the time go?

Although I'm hesitant to admit it's the end of an era, I owe my time spent to what you have given me, the opportunities I have taken and the experience of a lifetime.

To the friends, the ones who walked away. But more importantly to those who stayed. Thanks for being my go-to and helping me with whatever, whenever, however.

To the teachers who became my best friend, life coach and second mom, and for giving me advice I will never forget.

The team I didn’t make (their loss) or the position I didn’t win (again, their loss).

To the awkward group projects and class presentations that really could not have gone any worse.

To the game-winning goal, I scored and the fans who cheered my name.

And to that teacher who was out to get me, and the bad grades that came with it.

It's hard to get moments like these back, and soon we'll all be saying, “Remember her? From high school?” Although some of the names may slowly fade from us, I will not forget the high school I leave behind. However, I can’t say that I'll miss the stupid rules, terrible parking, crowded hallways and mediocre service that came with it.

But to all those who have impacted my high school experience, and made it what it was, I want to thank you because I wouldn’t have wanted to have it any other way. You taught me that if you want something in life, you have to rely on yourself. Don’t wait for someone else to do it for you. You taught me that things go right and things go wrong, but both are equally important. And finally, you taught me that the four short final years we have had together and the cap, gown and diploma we get on graduation day, does not justify all that you have done for me. And for that, I am forever indebted to you.

Cheers to the next chapter!