Who is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

The Curious Case of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Hate her or love her, she's redefining what it means to be a politician, and this year is her year.

316

The last midterm election, held on November 6, 2018, was historic and heart breaking in many ways. Popular favorites like Beto lost their election, but it was an overall victory for Democrats who flipped the House, elected a record-breaking 117 women to office, and regained traction for their inspection of the Trump campaign. Among the many who took to their positions this new year, is 29-year-old Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez who overtook Joe Crowley in a historic upset. The youngest woman to be elected to Congress in the history of the United States, she is in touch with the younger demographic, while also unrepentant in her views and discussion about the state of our government.

With over 1.87 million Twitter followers, she speaks out about climate change, abortion laws, women's rights, education for all, universal healthcare, and other social and political issues. These topics align with many Democrats and the younger crowd, but because we can't have nice things, Alexandria is often a popular topic of attempted slander and 'scandals' by an outspoken, under-educated conservative crowd.

Most recently, a video surfaced of the congresswoman dancing and having fun as a college student. A cute and now very popular video which has spawned countless light-hearted memes (and even a response from Alexandria herself, in the form of another dance), was originally posted by an anonymous account, "AnonymousQ1776" with the caption, "Here is America's favorite commie know-it-all acting like the clueless nitwit she is……High School video of "Sandy" Ocasio-Cortez". First of all, the disrespect? No matter your political or social views, by posting something so baseless like this, it shows that there is absolutely no regard for her achievement and agency. Plus, shouldn't these right-wing individuals turn their attention towards individuals that actually have scandals? *cough* Kavanaugh *cough* Trump *cough*.

This incident really brings to light what is wrong with the political atmosphere in America- rather focusing on campaign messages and taking the time to formulate concise and fact-based arguments and defense, it's turned into a mud-slinging, character attacking sh*t show that many kinder-gardeners would be ashamed of.

2019 has already been called Trump's worst year, when all of his lies, deception, and inability to lead will finally be examined and put on trial. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as well has as her peers and colleagues will be the ones to spearhead this movement.