Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Is The Warrior We Need To Fight Climate Change

This courageous congresswoman is bringing the Green New Deal to the battle of climate change.

151

If you were attentive to the recent midterm elections, you'll know that we saw an overwhelming presence of girl power. History was made when we elected the first Muslim women to Congress, the first Native American women to Congress, and the youngest woman to Congress. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the 28-year-old Puerto Rican woman and now the Democratic U.S. Representative for New York's 14th Congressional District, furthers these breakthroughs as the youngest woman to be elected to Congress. Days before winning the primary, Ocasio-Cortez addressed the media via Twitter regarding journalists who refused to say her name, calling her "Joe Crowley's primary opponent." Seemingly she sparked the beginning of change with her comments because 24 hours later she won the election and her name was heard everywhere.

Ocasio-Cortex wasted no time asserting her agenda and getting right to work. The Congresswoman held nothing back when speaking of her detailed proposals to fight climate change. it is clear that she is in the front line of this battle and showing immense leadership. The Democratic party has struggled to come up with an effective solution to climate change, one that everyone can get behind.

At a climate change town hall meeting hosted by Bernie Sanders, Ocasio-Cortez gave a compelling testimony about this generation's attitude towards the issue. The proposal of the Green New Deal entails moving our nation toward the expansion of renewable power sources, decreasing greenhouse gas emissions and aiding other nations to do the same, all while promising a stimulation of the economy. She states, "This is going to be the New Deal, the Great Society, the moon shot, the civil-rights movement of our generation." Her passion is admirable and contagious. As a young woman, she speaks to a demographic of people who climate change affects the most, Millennials and Generation Z. Her determination is evident in the way she speaks on this issue.

Ocasio-Cortez demands that we be courageous, that we take a stand in saving our planet. She is the Democratic woman-warrior this generation needs. Her winning the election is primarily what the Democratic party needed, a member of our generation with a fire inside her who is ready to take action.

You can watch the Congresswoman's full testimony here. Ocasio-Cortez cannot do this alone. She needs our support and our courage. Educate yourselves about the detrimental effects of climate change and hop on board the Green New Deal because our planet needs it.