5 Activities Way More Fun Than Scrolling TikTok For Hours

These 5 Activities Are Actually Way More Fun Than Scrolling TikTok For Hours

Stop scrolling on TikTok for hours and start investing more in yourself away from the screen.

523

Coronavirus is continuing to plague the country with no clear end in sight. The preemptive reopening of states like Florida and Texas, in an effort to restart the economy, has caused a massive spike in cases to the point of reentering quarantine.

Many states, who have recently begun to reopen during June and early July, fear that cases may begin to increase as well and they will be forced back into stay-at-home orders and regulations.

For many, the thought of being confined to their homes again only to interact with parents, siblings, or significant others is enough to drive them crazy. However, while I found myself longing for the days when hugs were embraced not shunned and masks were for medical use only, there was a bigger problem than my lacking social life.

It was my technology use.

In order to pass the hours I stayed behind a plethora of different screens my eyes shifting between social media apps, movies, TV-shows, games, you name it. Fives hours scrolling on Tik-Tik followed by Instagram followed by Netflix followed by Twitter followed by Amazon Prime.

My face was highlighted by the screen's blue haze from when I lifted my head off the pillow till when it came back down.

It wasn't until a notification popped up on my phone saying my screen time had doubled, even tripled on some days, I realized there was a problem. Technology has brought amazing things, inspired creativity, and encouraged connectivity but we cannot experience or enjoy life hiding behind a screen for hours.

That is why I put together this list of a couple of different things people can during quarantine, or even in general, or reduce their screen time and technology use.

Read!

George Hashemi

It might seem cliche that reading is the first activity on this list but it's almost a perfect alternative to Netflix. Just like the compelling movies and TV shows we love to binge, there are thousands of page-turners just waiting for you to get lost in their stories.

I recently just finished No. 1 New York Times Bestseller "Where The Crawdads Sings" a coming of age novel about a young girl who raises herself, a murder mystery and the beauty of nature. Reading is also not limited to books but included magazines, news articles, journals, anything comprised of sentences.

Reading is learning and growing.

It can let you explain your knowledge of the world from the comfort of your home.

Start an adult paint-by-number!

George Hashemi

Adult paint by number have become all the rage this quarantine and are such to keep you occupied for hours. There are dozens of different painting options on websites like Amazon so everyone can have something they love.

I personally just started working on a painting of an Italian Village on the waterfront (daydreaming about when I'll ever be able to go). Most of these adult paint-by-numbers are on cloth canvas's and come with the tools needed to hang them up once finished.

This might be the wall accessory your home was missing and will impress your friend when they come over after quarantine is over.

Reorganize your closet!

George Hashemi

Now before you cringe, bear with me. Reorganizing your closet might seem like an impossibly daunting task but I promise it is worth it in the end. Not only will this take up a couple of hours, maybe even days of quarantine, but you can finally get rid of all the old clothes shoved int eh back depths on the closest to bask in the dust.

This can allow you to really buckle down and decide what clothes you need and what you don't. You might even find some pieces you completely forgot about but still love. And you mak room for some the new clothes that are bound to come once the post-quarantine shopping takes effect or a day ends in online retail therapy.

Cook something!

George Hashemi

Learning how to cook or just doing it more often is an easy way to make yourself and others happier. Instead of just ordering something off Postmates or GrubHub why not try to cook a home-made meal instead.

Not only will you save some money, but the meal will also probably be healthier and tastier too.

You would be surprised at how flavorful just a couple of ingredients can turn out. Take just an hour or two out of your night away from the TV to whip up something that you, and whoever you live with, can enjoy together.

Take a walk outside!

George Hashemi

This one is pretty self-explanatory. Just get outside! Take a walk around the block and soak up some vitamin D. This allows for some easy exercise, to be alone with your thoughts or just destress and get away from the uncertainty the pandemic has brought.