9 Ways To Turn A Bad Day Around

9 Ways To Turn A Bad Day Around

We all have them.

19
9 Ways To Turn A Bad Day Around
LifeHack

We all have bad days from time to time, whether it is something that you have more chronically or something that only comes from time to time. Whether it's from a chemical imbalance, a bad experience that day, or seemingly nothing at all.

Even though I'm guilty of it as well, you shouldn't just spend the rest of your day in bed, sad, and/or unproductive, at least if you can help it. Some people can't and it's not their fault, but for someone who has a run of the mill bad day and just needs some motivation to turn your day around, this is for you.

1. Listen to some of your favorite music

Don’t listen to sad stuff that seems to affirm your sad feelings and makes you wallow in self-pity. Listen to jams that make you feel like a BAMF. Listen to cheer up music, rebel music, loud fast-paced music. You’ll feel jamming and on top of the world in no time.

2. Make something tangible

Make a craft or some item that is tangible. You will be able to see your progress and feel accomplished with your final product. Draw a picture, knit, solve a puzzle, try a new craft. You can do something as simple or complex as you like, as long as it's using your time and gives you something to be proud of. This can even be away of discovering a new hobby.

3. Don't look at social media

Social media will drain you, stress you out and probably make you angry or more sad. Don't get stuck reading controversial threads that anger you or seeing friends on vacations or getting married that makes you jealous. This may have been one of the reasons you are feeling bummed in the first place. Avoid it at all costs. You have a life to live. Don’t focus on other's lives.

4. Cook or bake

This doesn’t make everyone feel better, and maybe you don't want to have a lot of calories just because you're sad, but you don’t have to just make junk food to make yourself feel better. You can make food for your family, your roommates, or just yourself. You can make a meal or a snack or a sweet. Have a goal, try a new recipe or an old favorite, but focus on your task at hand and savor it. Try to not even post that Instagram picture.

5. Rant to a journal

Sometimes you may want to rant to a person about your feelings and sometimes that's a good idea, but other times people can stress you out and make you feel guilty or feel bad about being sad, especially when you're feeling sad for no explainable reason. A safer bet is to rant in a journal about how you feel and get all your feelings out.

6. Read some motivational quotes

Although it may sound cliche, motivational quotes can be inspiring. There are lots of fun quotes to explore and they range from carefree and whimsical and straightforward and painfully truthful. Reading through some motivational quotes may kick start some energy that will you get you motivated to do something else or they may also cheer you up themselves. If something bad happened today, look for quotes that help you minimize the impact that situation had on you and that will help you move on.

7. Go to a show

Go see a comedy show, a play, a musical. It doesn't have to be strictly comedic, but try not to see a tragedy either that will trigger those sad feelings that are already creeping up. If you have the money and resources this is a great way to cheer yourself up. it doesn't have to be 5th Avenue or Jerry Seinfeld for you to have a great time. Look into local listings or productions put on by schools or smaller groups. Find something that you'd probably never know about without a little digging and explore something new.

8. Go on a walk (if you are physically able)

This doesn't have to be very athletic endeavor and it doesn't have to be that far. You can find a hiking trail you want to try or you can just wander around the block. It will clear your head and you can observe what's around you. You can even combine this with writing or drawing if you find inspiration along your walk.

9. Organize

Not everyone likes to clean, but a lot of people like to be organized. Organizing can help you later on when you need to find and put away things. It also can help with your stress by making you feel accomplished, put together, and in control. It's true that messiness is a sign of depression, and so being organized can help you feel more emotionally stable and decluttering can make your mind less cluttered as well.

It's important to do what's right for you when trying to cheer up, but if you want to give yourself a pick-me-up and don't know where to start, using these tips may just help you turn that bad day around.