The 8 Best Things About Being A St. Louis Cardinals Fan

What it is like to be a fan in "Baseball Heaven."

318
Dynasty League Baseball

To anyone who has ever visited St. Louis it is evident that people are passionate about baseball. The people that live in St. Louis can attest to that, there is just something different about being a fan there. In honor of the start of a new baseball season, these are some of the best things about being a Cardinals fan.

1.The Clydesdales: Baseball season has not really started yet at Busch Stadium if the Clydesdales have not paraded around the field. This tradition is unique to St. Louis. The horses only leave Grant’s Farm for very special occasions, like Super Bowl Commercials and the Rose Parade. The Cardinals home opener is lucky enough to be considered an event as important as those! Plus, who doesn’t like horses? I mean seriously, they are beautiful and majestic creatures.

2.Fredbird: Fredbird was introduced in April of 1979 and has been an icon at the ballpark ever since. Originally he was created to entertain younger fans, but Fredbird is beloved by kids of all ages. He is goofy, loves taking pictures, and interacting with the fans. Fredbird is also a prominent figure in the community. When it is not baseball season, Fredbird visits many of the local schools and will make hospital visits for sick children.

3.The pitchers: The Cardinals do not just have one good pitcher, they have an entire staff full. Whether it is Adam Wainwright, Michael Wacha, Jaime Garcia, or Carlos Martinez starting out on the mound, the pitching is good. Let’s not forget about the bullpen. Trevor Rosenthal and co. had the most saves (62) for the season. Also, in 2015 the team had a total ERA of 2.94, which was the lowest in the league. These guys aren't all business though, they have fun while they work too. Because that is what baseball should be, fun!

4.Yadier Molina: There is no denying that Molina is a fantastic catcher. He has won eight Golden Glove awards and been chosen seven times for the All Star Game. Molina is a leader in the clubhouse and is well respected by all of his fellow teammates. He is also the reason that the Cardinals pitching staff is so good. Molina is smart and knows how to help his pitchers get the outs. He is an invaluable asset to the team.

5.They’re always good: When Cardinals fan go to a game at Busch Stadium they know that they will see a good game. They have not had a season under 0.500 since 2007, have only missed the playoffs four times since 2000, and also won two World Series titles in that time. They have won a total of 11 World Series titles, which is the second highest in the league. The Cardinals are one of the most successful baseball franchises around. Even they are not the best team in baseball every season, the Cardinals are always playoff contenders and worthy competitors.

6.Quality of leadership: Mike Matheny started his career as the manager of the team in 2012, but began working for the organization in 2000 when he was signed on as a catcher. Matheny knows the ins and the outs of the team, which is why he is so good at what he does. Another reason why Matheny is so respected by his players and the fans, is because of his commitment to his faith. He has said, “I believe that it is our responsibility to jump into life and figure out a way to be there for people and look for opportunities to share what is most important to you. When those opportunities present themselves, to not miss it and be prepared, and hopefully be able to reflect what Christ wants us to be and be able to direct them to God’s word and what that means and how they can understand that.” Matheny is a manager who recognizes that as important as winning is, it is not the ultimate prize in life.

7.They care about the community: Cardinals players spend a lot of time helping to better our community. Through Cardinals Care they go on hospital visits, attend fundraisers, and help kids in need. A few of the players even have their own charities, such as Big League Impact, Inc. which was founded by the Wainwright family. The mission of Big League Impact, Inc. is to provide necessities, like food, clean water, medical care, and shelter, to communities around the world. Fredbird even gets involved in the action through the Doin’ It Right program. When it isn’t baseball season, he goes into schools to help encourage kids to stay in school, get active, and not to do drugs. They have made helping the community a high priority.

8.Being known as the best fans in baseball: Originally this was meant to be a joke, but there is an element of truth to this. Not to brag, but Cardinals fans have a reputation as being generally awesome. They stay devoted to the team and are informed about the game. Cardinal’s fans are also considerate. When the opposing team does something amazing, Cardinals fans recognize that and may even cheer them on. Also, St. Louis is not considered one of the big sports markets. And yet, they have one of the best attendance rates. If that isn’t devotion to a team, then I don’t know what is.

Bonus: Jon Hamm is a Cardinals fan, enough said.