An Open Letter To Cubs Fans From The Best Fans In Baseball

Even a World Series win would not make up for your ugly past.
1375

Cubs fans,

First of all, congrats on a great season. You won over one hundred games for the first time in over a hundred years. Your team deserved to win the central division, and they deserve to be in the playoffs. Honestly, they deserve to win the whole thing. Before you go on a spree of bashing the Cardinals, though, we have some things to say to you.

You do not have the best fan base in baseball. The Royals tried to pull this with us last year when they were good, too. Where are they now? Gone. I was so blessed to grow up in St. Louis, so I got to experience how amazing and dedicated Cardinal Nation really is. Now, I go to school in Illinois, so I deal with a lot of Cubs fans. People have actually said to me that the Cubs have the best fanbase, ever. Although the Cubs have a very big fan base compared to the biggest bandwagon team in baseball (The Royals) it was not because of baseball. Before the Cubs were good, the fans were there to party and get drunk on a summer night. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but let me compare that to Cardinal Nation. When you walk into Busch, the people there are there for the Cardinals. Our hearts break for them when they lose, and we are filled with happiness when they win. We can name our players from previous teams years back, and when I asked you all to name players from years back you all said, "Umm...Sammy Sosa?" We all remember the rally squirrel, when David Freese saved Game 6 for us, when Wainwright threw the final pitch in the 2006 World Series and jumped into Yadier Molina's arms. We also remember in 2004 when our amazing team got beat in the World Series by the Boston Red Sox. We are second in World Series Championships behind the amazing New York Yankees. In October, people only wear red. You go to Walmart on a day that the Cardinals are playing? At least 75 percent of people will be wearing red. We love our old players and will almost always offer them a standing ovation when they come back on other teams to play against us. There is a reason Albert Pujols talked about missing his "home" is St. Louis when he left. There is a reason why players like Jim Edmonds and Willie McGee consider St. Louis the best place in the world. There is a reason why opposing players say, "I'm sick of the hype too, but it really is just different there." We stick to our team no matter what. With them having the worst season that they had in a long time, we were still standing in our seats until the very end.

We don't care if you win the World Series. Yes, you're obviously not our team of choice that we want to win, just like the St. Louis Blues probably weren't your pick for the Stanley Cup. It won't affect how St. Louis feels about the Cardinals. We aren't going anywhere and we will be back next year. One of you guys told me, "Cardinals' fans will shut up if the Cub's win, they will have nothing to say." That isn't true. We might not make Titanic jokes anymore, but we still have eleven rings. We still are a threat to you next year, with a healthy Lance Lynn coming back and younger players coming up. Having a good, young team might make you the best team in baseball, but it doesn't mean you're going to win the World Series every year from here on out. Trust me, ask our 2004 Cardinals, so quit acting like you've already caught us in championships. If you win or lose this year, we will still make fun of you

This is not the best team to have ever existed in baseball.

This one is funny. The Cubs are very good, there's no question there. They are not the best team to have ever existed, though. All year long I had Cubs fans saying "The Cardinals' are so bad." "The Cardinals suck this year." "The Cardinals are the worst team in baseball." Here's the funny thing, when the Cardinals were great the Cubs were not even on our radar. We didn't care. Also, the Cardinals may not have had the greatest year compared to previous seasons, but be careful when you say that they suck. The Cardinals were one game out of making the playoffs. If one of the worst years they have had in the past decade in being a game out of the playoffs, they really cannot be that bad. Also, the Cubs played the Cardinals 19 times this year. In those 19 games, the Cubs won ten of them and the Cardinals won nine. The Cubs may have been really good this year, but you cannot say that the Cardinals would not have been a threat to them if they would have gotten the chance to meet in the playoffs. Another thing to point out is when you think of a best team in history, do you really think that it is a team that went against "horrible" teams? Or do you consider it a team that went against teams with deadly lineups such as the Killer Bees from the Houston Astros, or facing an incredible player like Barry Bonds knowing he was probably going to hit a home run when he stepped up to the plate? The best teams in baseball are not the teams what walked all over the weak ones.

Moral of the story, celebrate this year, but don't have this chip on your shoulder that you're the best organization in baseball history because you're just not. Also, learn to care about the actual Cubs winning instead of just beating the Cardinals.

Sincerely,

Cardinal Nation