Seven Ways Basketball Has Positively Impacted My Life

Sports can impact your life in many ways.

5671
Flickr

Since second grade, basketball has been a huge part of my life. I am going into my senior year of college and basketball has majorly influenced my life for a while. It has helped shape me into the person I am today. I am sure that, even if you do not play basketball but another sport, it has had a big impact on your life and your choices as well. Here are seven ways basketball has positively impacted my life.

1. Basketball has brought some of my favorite people into my life.

It has helped me make life-long friends with teammates and coaches. It has provided me mentors who have helped shape the kind of person I am. It has given me opportunities to get to know people I probably would have never had the chance to meet otherwise. I have met some of my best friends through basketball which I am forever grateful for.

2. It has helped me develop time management skills.

Playing basketball in college can be very time-consuming. Sometimes it can be difficult to juggle practices and games with school work or your other social activities. Having basketball in my life has helped me learn how to manage my time in ways such as making sure I get my homework assignments done before practice. This helps ensure that I am not stressing about it after and getting my work done ahead of time helps if we are traveling the next day because I can relax on the bus rather than having to do it on the bus. Time management skills are a very important life skill to have and I am blessed that basketball has taught me how to use this skill efficiently.

3. It has provided me with a work ethic.

Not only has it provided me a work ethic in basketball but in other aspects of life as well. It has shown me that nothing comes easy and if you want something you have to work really hard to get it. By working hard and reaching your goals, it makes success so much better. Having a work ethic is a great skill to develop because it is a skill that can be applied in the real world.

4. Instilled within me a love for fitness.

To be honest, if I did not play basketball, I am not sure I would have the love for fitness that I do. Lifting and running sounds like the worst combination ever, especially if you do not do it regularly, but because I play basketball both of theses things have to be incorporated into my lifestyle. Due to this, I have developed a love for both of these because I know now how my body can feel when it is in shape and how much better I feel all around being in shape. This love for fitness will probably stay with me the rest of my life and keep me living a healthy lifestyle even when I am in my 60's.

5. One of the biggest things about basketball is that it has helped me go to college.

Basketball was one of the big reasons I went to college instead of taking a year off and just hanging out like I wanted to. It has helped push me through school and kept the mindset of doing the best I can in school so that I can maintain eligibility on the court. It has not only helped keep my grades up but it helped pay for my schooling which has been a blessing these past few years. College is super expensive but with basketball, it has made the costs bearable.

6. It has taught me how to deal with people.

Let us be honest here, we do not love every single one of our teammates even if we say we do. There is usually (not always) a teammate who is just a little harder to get along with than the rest. This can be hard to deal with when in reality you just want to yell at this person and give them a piece of your mind but know you cannot because it could disrupt your team or cause conflict between you and the rest of your teammates (who may love this person). So instead of reacting to this person with your true feelings you learn to deal with them in an appropriate manner. It may be not hanging around them, or avoiding them altogether if you do not have to be around them. It also helps you with communication because you cannot avoid someone forever, especially a teammate. You see them every single day. You have to suck it up and be nice (well you should do this, a conflict between teammates is the worst thing) regardless of how you feel. Honestly, most of the time when I do not like a teammate it is because I have not really tried to get to know or understand them. Once I get to know people I generally like everyone so I try to keep this in mind whenever I start to feel like someone is getting on my nerves.

7. It has provided me with new perspectives.

Playing college basketball, you are put together on a team with all kinds of people from different backgrounds. You learn so much about different places whether it is another state or another country. It has helped me develop a love for other cultures and has made me want to know about other people's lifestyles.

Basketball has been in my life for so long and I have no idea how I am going to live life without it once it is all over. I will take all these memories, skills and friendships basketball has provided me with, and carry them with me for the rest of my life.