5 Ways To Add Positivity To Your Life

5 Ways To Add Positivity To Your Life

Good vibes only.

14
5 Ways To Add Positivity To Your Life

Coming from Long Island, my second language is sarcasm. My favorite dialect? Cynicism. I have a strong tendency to be jokingly cynical in everyday conversation, because it is what I find to be most natural and funny. Yet even though I have a penchant for dry humor, I strive to be a very positive, upbeat person. Even if I am upset about something, I try to maintain a positive attitude and an optimistic outlook. Lately, I have found myself noticing the little things I do to maintain positivity, and I have realized that projecting positivity outward to the rest of the world makes me feel happier myself. Here are 5 ways to add positivity to your life that I believe everyone can and should adopt:

1. Smile!

It is amazing what a difference smiling at someone can make. Not only will you brighten their day, but even if you are having a not-so-great day, projecting happiness and positivity in the form of a smile can help you feel more optimistic and easy-going overall. Of course, there are some days and some situations when you can't even muster a smile, and that's okay. But you can reframe your daily stresses and the tedium of the "daily grind" by smiling more often; rather than feeling stressed or listless, smiling can help to remind you that, overall, life is good. Smile at the maintenance staff in your building; smile at people you have briefly met or recognize from class; and smile when you greet your friends!

2. Ask people how they are doing

Whenever I interact with someone I know, I ask them how they are doing: "How are you? How was your day?" I truly do mean it sincerely; I ask people how they are because I want them to know that I am here for them if they need; whether they are basking in the success of getting an A on a paper or dealing with friend trouble, I want them to know that I am available to listen, congratulate, support, and provide advice if wanted. Having your friends as a resource to confide in can be so reassuring and comforting, and I know from personal experience that it is a truly wonderful feeling to know that your friends sincerely care about how you are doing. Even saying, "Hi! How are you?" with a big smile to the workers who swipe you into the dining hall can be really endearing; you can tell from their expression and response that they really do appreciate the positive vibes amongst the shuffle of people trying to get in as quickly as possible.

3. Thank people more often

It's not just the big things people do for you that you should thank them for; it's the things that maybe aren't even done exclusively for you that often go unrecognized and under-appreciated. Thank a club leader for organizing an event or leading a meeting; thank a professor after a great class. Some jobs are truly thankless, so showing someone that you recognize and appreciate the hard work they've done can be really uplifting and encouraging when it can often seem like their efforts go unnoticed.

4. Introduce yourself to people

Although it may feel awkward or weird at first, I promise that people really do appreciate when you introduce yourself and ask them about themselves. Don't be a stranger to the world around you! Take the initiative to introduce yourself and make people feel welcome wherever they are; sometimes, just having that one friendly face in a room can make a huge difference. Engage with people you don't know and be that friendly face for them!

5. Wish happiness upon others

Last but not least, wish people a good day after conversing. If their day is going well, say "Have a great rest of your day!" or "Have a good night!" If they've been having a bad day, say something like "I hope the rest of your day is better, and know that I'm always here for you if you need anything." Being receptive to how someone has been feeling, and wishing them happiness accordingly, is a great way to show that you care. Again, even people you only interact with temporarily are deserving of the sentiment. Whether it's your best friend ("Have a great day, I'll see you later!") or the barista who takes your order ("Have a nice day!"), hearing that can be so uplifting, and it is so nice to hear from someone that they wish happiness for you.

Spread joy and be a positive force in people's lives! You will reap the benefits of not only brightening the days of those around you, but also framing your life in a more upbeat way. Projecting cheerfulness creates inner happiness, so go out there and spread joy