Self-improvement

10 Things You Can Do Right Now To Start Living Your Best Life

Healthy living starts with healthy habits.

379
holiday cheer
It's New Year's resolution season and it can be difficult to figure out how to make your goals a reality, so here are a few ideas to start off your year strong and create the life you've always dreamed of living.

1. Fix your sleep schedule

schleep

I am incapable of stressing the importance of a good sleep schedule. My life got infinitely better when I stopped waking up feeling like a zombie. A lot of students normalize the whole "I want to die and/or I want to kill someone" mentality that comes with being sleep deprived, and it is something that I find is romanticized a lot in high school and college. The "I slept five hours last night"-"well I slept two hours"-"well, I pulled an all-nighter" competitions are actually quite toxic. There is nothing cool about allowing such bad habits to become a norm.

Sleep is an important part of life. It is when your body and brain rest. I promise that when you get used to getting a proper amount of sleep you'll never want to go bad. Your quality of life will increase exponentially. Shoot for eight or nine hours of sleep every night. You'll find that going to sleep and waking up at around the same time every day will set you up with the energy and motivation to meet your goals. Get ready to be more prepared to tackle the day ahead of you!

2. Eat healthy

Your body needs fuel. You know the importance of good diet. School drills it into your head. I know it can be difficult to find healthy options in college, but healthy eating plays a huge role in your energy levels and in your overall happiness. Make sure you are eating food with good nutritional content instead of the empty calories so often offered at dining halls. Don't be afraid to do some research and start looking at food labels—it's important to know what you are putting into your body.

3. Drink water

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Water is literally a holy grail. Don't sit around and complain of headaches and acne if you aren't first checking your water intake. Drinking proper amounts of water can help you feel more full and boost your metabolism. Water can help increase your energy levels and help you feel more present. If normal water is too boring for you, make hydration fun with some infusions. #hydrationnation

4. Prioritize

harry potter and the sparkly people

Deciding what is important to you is a severely underestimated task. I once had a friend tell me to say "this is not a priority right now" rather than "I don't have time for this." This is super important because when you tell yourself "self-care isn't a priority right now," it puts a lot of things into perspective.

5. Explore

It is so easy to fall into boring patterns of living. A sure-fire way to make yourself feel stuck is by continuously doing the same things. Take some time to invest in new experiences. Seeing how you adapt to new situations can teach you about yourself and your strength in ways that your usual routine might not.

6. Find a hobby

food

While you're doing all that exploring, try and find a hobby. One should always have two hobbies: one that makes you happy and one that makes you money. Let 2019 be the year that you finally find that balance between hustle and happiness!

7. Read

I know high school has really put us all off of reading, but there's something about the serenity of curling up with some hot cocoa and a good book on a rainy day that just cannot be replaced. Reading can be a great escape from the real world. I like that reading makes me feel like I'm keeping up with the times. I find that the more I read, the more benefits transfer to other parts of my life. I am more focused and I have a higher attention span now than back when I stopped reading for pleasure. And if you're into nonfiction, it's a great way to explore topics of interest that may not be related to your coursework while expanding your worldview. If you're a fiction kind of person, then reading can help teach you to think through a perspective other than your own, even in the most mundane situations.

8. Spend time with loved ones

famfoolery

There is a lot of comfort to be found in the arms of your loved ones. When the world seems unforgiving and cold, your family and friends will be the ones to stand by you and give you the support you need. Your goals and ambitions will be 110% more difficult to reach without your day-ones, so make sure to make time refresh, recharge, and spend time with the important people in your life.

9. Start planning your days

battle plan

Prioritizing and creating healthy habits mean nothing if you can't keep them going. Keeping a planner can help you stay organized with your goals and accountable with your habits.

10. Keep a journal

While we are writing things down, taking a couple of minutes a day to write down how your feeling or what you've been doing can be a step in the right direction in terms of understanding yourself better. I find that writing things down on days when there's a lot on my mind helps me find some meaning in the crazy moments. This is especially useful when you are feeling less than amazing because it can help organize your thoughts and feelings.

As we wrap up 2018, take some time to reflect on all that you learned this year. There was probably more growth than you realize. Make sure to leave this year's negativity behind you when the clock strikes midnight but not this year's lessons. Go into 2019 with compassion and motivation at the forefront of our thoughts. Happy New Year, guys!