21 Things All Atlanta Falcons Fans Understand

Rise up, Falcons fans!

305

Well, the day has finally come again: the Atlanta Falcons are headed to the Super Bowl! The Falcons became the team that defied all predictions of how this year's NFL season would go. And honestly, Falcons fans couldn't be happier. As a lifelong fan, and having seen my fair share of games in the Georgia Dome, I thought it was only fitting that I make a list of things that Falcons fans just get.

1. Getting pumped when you hear "Rise Up, Atlanta!"

There's adrenaline when you yell those words. There's a community. And the first things I think when I hear those words are: "Let's do this."

2. Knowing that Samuel L. Jackson is an amazing hype man

Seriously, if you haven't seen one of his promo videos that play before the start of a home game, you need to. Gets me every time.

3. Hearing the phrase "Dirty Birds" and feeling incredibly nostalgic

The Falcons are often called the "Dirty Birds" by fans. The Dirty Bird was also the name of a dance that the 1998 Super Bowl team used to celebrate. If you want to read more about it, go here, and watch legend Jamal Anderson do it back in the day.

4. Enduring horrible Atlanta traffic

No Atlanta-area resident can escape the traffic on a given weekday when headed into the Perimeter. But when it's gameday, you have another thing coming if you don't leave hours in advance.

5. Wishing you could be in the Georgia Dome for every game

That dome is like nothing else I've ever experienced. The energy is palpable, the fans are loud, and the sense of being part of something bigger than yourself is overwhelming in the absolute best way.

6. Being excited about the new stadium but also being bummed about saying goodbye to the Dome

The new stadium looks high-tech and super fancy. I'm excited to see it when it's finished but I'm also going to miss the Georgia Dome. Lots of people made memories there and it'll be bittersweet to say goodbye.

7. Wanting to see a Super Bowl champion banner

Speaking of the Dome, we have some banners that we like to display. Banners of the great players, banners from NFC championships, and one banner from making it to the Super Bowl in 1998. We'll get another one of those for this season. But I'm ready to see another one hanging in the new stadium, if you know what I mean.

8. Knowing that when the Saints play in the Dome it's all-out war

I've only been to one or two Falcons-Saints games, but believe me when I say that the rivalry is very, very alive. No matter what shape each team is in that current season, when the Saints come to town, football takes on a whole new meaning.

9. Automatically yelling "JULIOOOOOOO" whenever Julio Jones makes a good play

JU-LI-O! JU-LI-O! The man's unstoppable.

10. Using "Matt Ryan" and "Matty Ice" interchangeably

Matt Ryan earned this nickname from being so "cool" in the pocket while preparing to throw the football. It's well-deserved. (And yes, I have had a Matt Ryan poster in my room since 2010, thanks for asking.)

11. Hoping you'll be as successful as Matt Bryant one day

Matt Bryant deserves so much respect. This man is one of the best kickers in the NFL, period. His record this season is 34 out of 37 field goal attempts, or 91.9 percent. I can only hope to do that well in my life.

12. Low-key knowing the names of a lot of the players

I see you, Devonta Freeman, Vic Beasley, Jonathan Babineaux, Keanu Neal, Eric Weems, Deion Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Taylor Gabriel, Tevin Coleman...

13. Desperately wanting to attend a Falcons training camp during the summer

Honestly, getting signatures and pictures would make my life, but I'd be happy to stand in the sweltering Georgia summer heat just to watch these men run plays.

14. Knowing that Freddie Falcon is an underrated, but amazing, mascot

Freddie Falcon is not the most well-known NFL mascot, but he deserves to be up there. He's hilarious and has to be seen to be believed. Here he is tackling a buccaneer, because why not.

15. Knowing the Falcons parts of the NFL Bad Lip Reading videos a little too well

I am very, very guilty of this. If you haven't seen the NFL Bad Lip Reading videos, you're missing out. (I couldn't find a good GIF of one of the Falcons, so have one of Tom Brady looking goofy.)

16. Proudly identifying that you're united #InBrotherhood

There's no other team you'd rather root for, no matter what the circumstances. We have our good years and our bad years. But when it comes down to it, the Falcons create a community... a brotherhood.

17. Wanting Arthur Blank to dance more

Arthur Blank, the owner of the Falcons, is obviously super excited about the team's Super Bowl LI appearance. I need more Arthur Blank dancing in my life. (He says the dancing was his biggest mistake, but I think he does a pretty great job.)

BONUS: Arthur Blank is taking every Falcons team member to the Super Bowl. Talk about a class act.

18. Knowing that Falcons fans take no prisoners

Want an example? This Kroger in Atlanta isn't selling Sam Adams beer (a Boston-based company) until after the Super Bowl. Savage.

19. Bonding with people from all walks of life over your love for the Falcons

It's hard to believe the reach that the Falcons have. The Falcons bring Atlanta, and all of Georgia, really, together in ways that not many would expect. There are Falcons fans all over the world. It's awesome to be a part of.

20. Being so freaking thrilled that the Falcons are GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!

Considering the fact that the last (and only) time the Falcons went to the Super Bowl was when I was not even one year old, it's pretty emotional for me to get to see this. When the NFC Championship came to a close, my friends and I immediately started blasting "Yeah!" by Usher. And that's just my experience; there are people that vividly remember seeing the Falcons play in the Super Bowl in 1998, and I can only imagine how excited they are about this too.

21. Being proud of the Falcons no matter what the outcome of the Super Bowl is

Like I said, we Falcons fans have been waiting a long time for this. It's been a long time coming. We've been through so many things the past 19 years, and we've come so close before. But now our team is going to Super Bowl LI and we're united in Brotherhood. No matter what happens, it's a great year to be a Falcons fan. RISE UP!

Did I miss anything? Let me know in the comments!