16 People More Qualified Than Trump to Be The Republican Nominee
Politics

You chose the bad egg.

22
LA Times

The Republican National Convention came and went, and Donald Trump had the worst weeks of his campaign so far. This has caused many Republicans to regret having him as their nominee. A new Huffington Post/YouGov poll shows that 54% of GOP voters say that Trump was NOT their best choice of candidate.

This is a bummer, considering Donald Trump was the only person to run for the Republican nomination.

Oh wait...no, he wasn't. Republicans had 16 far-more-qualified people run for the nomination, and they completely ignored them.

Here are the people who could have been your nominee, Republicans...

Rick Perry

Who? Perry was a three-term Governor of Texas, and and the chairman of the Republican Governors Association. And now he's going to be on Dancing With The Stars.

He ran?! Yep! After the astounding plunge Rick Perry took in 2012 after his infamous "Oops" debate moment, many wondered if he would jump back into presidential politics. Well he sure did! This time, sporting a fetching pair of "smart boy" glasses He launched his 2016 campaign for president on June 4, 2015, and dropped out on September 11 of the same year.

His thoughts on the nominee? Perry once called Donald Trump a small-minded "barking carnival act", a false prophet, and a "cancer on conservatism". Now, he fully supports him, saying it's a "no-brainer".

Is he better than Trump? Yes. Of course. Perry has extensive experience in government (including governing the second biggest state in the U.S.), and has never mocked a U.S. Senator's Native American heritage by calling her "Pocahontas".

Scott Walker

Who? You know! Scott Walker! He's the Governor of Wisconsin. He was the golden boy. He was going to be the Koch brothers' choice. He was going to be president! That didn't work out so well.

He ran?! Yes! You may not have seen much of him because he never got to participate in the "main event" debates. He announced his run on June 24, 2015, and dropped out on November 17.

His thoughts on the nominee? Speaking at the National Press Club, Jindal said that Donald Trump was "full of foolishness and nonsense", and called him a "narcissist" and an "egomaniac". After dropping out, he endorsed Marco Rubio, and later wrote an Op-Ed for the Wall Street Journal called "I'm Voting Trump, Warts and All".

Is he better than Trump? You better believe it. He has a somewhat shaky record (including surviving a recall effort), but Walker has tried things, including a controversial budget plan in Wisconsin. However, Walker has experience, and has never been sued for housing discrimination against African-Americans.

George Pataki

Who? Even I had to look up who this guy was, and apparently he ran for president! George Pataki is a lawyer, and the former Governor of New York (That's right! And he's a Republican!).

He ran?! Barely! But yes. He announced on May 28, 2015. Pataki had never sought election for a federal-level office, and faced an uphill climb because of his age and liberal policies, failing to gain much traction. He dropped out on December 29, 2015.

His thoughts on the nominee? Pataki has called Trump the "ultimate spoiled rich kid", and said he would drive the GOP "off a cliff" if he became the nominee. He endorsed Marco Rubio, and then John Kasich.

Is he better than Trump? You better believe it. Pataki is moderate, and that's what wins a general election. He was voted the Governor of New York as a Republican, for crying out loud. He has also never questioned the legality and birthplace of President Barack Obama, and demanded to see his birth certificate.

Lindsey Graham

Who? Lindsey Graham! The sweet, southern boy! The Senator of South Carolina! John McCain's BFF!

He ran?! Yes. He announced on June 1, 2015, and never got the recognition he deserved. Graham continually killed in the "under-card" debates, and has a common sense, mild-mannered way of approaching politics. He never picked up steam, and had to drop out on December 21, 2015, making for the saddest "Graham Family Christmas" of all time.

His thoughts on the nominee? Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. Graham has called Trump "unelectable", a "jackass", and claimed his "nationalism will lead to another 9/11". He has said he will not vote for Donald Trump.

Is he better than Trump? A million times better. He has a long record of working across the aisle, and has served on many senate committees. He's a supporter of comprehensive immigration reform, considered sponsoring a bill on climate change, and has never suggested that John McCain and POWs are not heroes. To that, Graham said, "What he said about John, I think, was offensive. He's becoming a jackass at a time when we need to have a serious debate about the future of the party and the country."

Mike Huckabee

Who? Mike Huckabee is the former Governor of Arkansas, a talk show host, and all-around buddy to Kim Davis.

He ran?! That's right. Mike Huckabee ran for president in 2016. He announced on May 5, 2015. However, after a bad showing in the Iowa Caucus (which he won 8 years earlier), Huckabee suspended his campaign on February 1, 2016.

His thoughts on the nominee? Huckabee loves Trump. Huckabee wants Trump to be president. Huckabee gets mad when other Republicans don't love Trump as much as he does. Heck, Huckabee's daughter works for Donald Trump!

Is he better than Trump? Sure. Huckabee is wildly conservative, but at least he has governing experience. He was the Governor of Arkansas during Hurricane Katrina and was praised for his rapid response to the tragedy. He was also named one of TIME's five best governors in the U.S. He has also never suggested that "second amendment people" could "do something about" Hillary Clinton should she be elected.

Rand Paul

Who? His dad is hipster favorite Ron Paul. He's an ophthalmologist, and the junior United States Senator from Kentucky.

He ran?! He did, indeed. Paul announced his candidacy on April 7, 2015. He was seen as a frontrunner for a while, but seemed to be bothered by everything he had to do for the campaign, struggled in the polls, and dropped out on February 3, 2016, after a bad performance in the Iowa Caucus.

His thoughts on the nominee? Trump and Paul have a history of being at the opposites ends of their party. They've exchanged many back-and-forth attacks. Paul has said, "Donald Trump is a delusional narcissist and an orange-faced windbag", and that “A speck of dirt is way more qualified to be president.” Paul has since endorsed Trump.

Is he better than Trump? He is. He's been pretty popular in his home state of Kentucky, serving on many committees and cosponsoring 43 bills. He has also never suggested he would force the military to commit war crimes.

Jim Gilmore

Who? Yeah...chances are you've never heard of him. He's a former county prosecutor, and was the 68th Governor of Virginia. He was also an object of obsession by Rachel Maddow.

He ran?! Well...kinda. He announced his candidacy on July 30, 2015. He only received 12 votes in the Iowa Caucus, and 133 in the New Hampshire primary. He suspended his campaign on February 12, 2016.

His thoughts on the nominee? Gilmore has called Trump's rhetoric "fascist talk". He later endorsed him.

Is he better than Trump? So little is known about Jim Gilmore, but yes. He was a fairly successful governor, working on education reform, and he has never advocated surveying and shutting down mosques.

Rick Santorum

Who? Sweater vests! This guy won the Iowa Caucus in 2012, and was Mitt Romney's only real competition. He is the former United States Senator from Pennsylvania.

He ran?! Yessum. Santorum announced on May 27, 2015. He failed to match his 2012 momentum, getting less than 1% in most polls. After a rough showing in the Iowa Caucus (which he won 4 years before), Santorum dropped on February 3, 2016.

His thoughts on the nominee? Santorum has been critical of Trump in the past, claiming "All that glitters is not gold", and saying his immigration stance was not conservative. He has since endorsed Trump after having a "long heart to heart".

Is he better than Trump? Yep. He's ultra-conservative, but Rick Santorum has a steady conservative message that appeals to many people (let's not forget he came in second in the Republican Primary in 2012). Also, although being pro-life, he has never suggested women who have received an abortion should be punished.

Ben Carson

Who? Sensible. Quiet. Kind of weird. A neurosurgeon, Ben Carson gained fame as the first and only person to successfully separate Siamese twins joined at the back of the head. He was vaulted into the political arena at the 2013 National Prayer Breakfast, where he became a conservative hero.

He ran?! Yeah. He announced on May 4, 2015. There for a second (Fall 2015), Ben Carson was doing really well in the polls. Some polls even showed him passing Donald Trump. However, after a series of inconsistencies in his past, Ben Carson began to sink in the polls. After a bad showing on Super Tuesday, he "did not see a political path forward" and dropped on March 4, 2016.

His thoughts on the nominee? Carson is a pretty respectful fellow. He has criticized Trump in the past, but has endorsed the Republican nominee. He has been a Trump surrogate for many months, defending the businessman on a number of issues.

Is he better than Trump? Yes. Carson doesn't have a lot of experience, but voters wanted an outsider. He is also an intellectual, and has never encouraged his supporters to beat up protesters.

Chris Christie

Who? He's the governor of New Jersey, and is not a stranger to controversy. He is also a U.S. Attorney.

He ran?! He did! Christie has been on many Republicans' short list of potential nominees for a few years. He announced on June 30, 2015. However, after an inferior performance in the New Hampshire primary, he suspended his campaign on February 10, 2016.

His thoughts on the nominee? While Christie has been fairly critical of Trump in the past, the governor got "VP fever" and endorsed him on February 26, 2016, sparking a million memes.

Is he better than Trump? Believe it or not, Christie was considered to be a favorite for many years leading up to the election. Before being riddled with controversy, Christie was once popular. After Hurricane Sandy, Christie's approval ratings hit 72%. He's a strong prosecutor and a tough negotiator, and has never mocked a reporter with a disability. In response to Trump's remark, Christie said, "He shouldn't be making fun of people's disabilities. It's just not worthy of someone running for president of the United States."

Carly Fiorina

Who? She is the former CEO of Hewlett-Packard, and was an adviser for John McCain's 2008 presidential campaign. She also kind of ran for vice president.

She ran?! Yep, and she did pretty well for a minute. Fiorina announced her candidacy on May 4, 2015, and scored a lot of attention from her debate performances. After suspending her campaign on February 10, she joined Ted Cruz's ticket as his VP pick.

Her thoughts on the nominee? Fiorina has been pretty critical of Donald Trump over the course of the campaign, calling him an "entertainer" and sparring with him over his business dealings. Many claim she was the only Republican candidate to successfully silence Trump, particularly with her response to his "look at that face" comment.

Is she better than Trump? In so many ways. Fiorina was the CEO of HP during a complicated time, and her legacy is controversial. However, her "outsider" status, business experience, and consistently strong showings against Hillary Clinton show she would have been a better choice than Trump. She's also never suggested a moderator was on their menstrual cycle because she asked tough questions at a debate. Referring to Trump's comments, she said, "I think women of all kinds are really sort of horrified by this."

Ted Cruz

Who? He's a Senator from Texas. He's the guy who shut down the government. He may be the Zodiac killer (unconfirmed). Ted Cruz has a long history of "sticking it to the man", and not a lot of his collegues like him very much.

He ran?! Yep. He announced on March 23, 2016, and he ran hard, getting the second-most delegates in the primary. He suspended his campaign on May 3, after a bitter loss in the "must win" state of Indiana.

His thoughts on the nominee? While remaining polite towards Trump in the beginning of the campaign (even holding a joint rally), things turned bitter heading into 2016. Trump suggested Cruz was not eligible to be president because he was born in Canada. After Cruz won the Iowa Caucus, Trump accused him of cheating and being the "single biggest liar". He also tweeted an unflattering photo of Ted Cruz's wife, Heidi, comparing her to his own wife, and suggested Ted Cruz's father may have been involved in the JFK assassination. Ted Cruz spoke at the Republican National Convention, and refused to endorse the candidate, calling for people to "vote your conscience".

Is he better than Trump? Yep! Cruz probably ran the greatest campaign out of any of the other candidates, especially considering that the guy isn't particularly likable. In the Senate, Cruz has sponsored 44 bills, and co-sponsored 187. Now only one of those bills ever passed, but it shows he has drive. He's committed to what he believes in, and he has never refused to disavow David Duke and the KKK. In fact, the KKK denounced Ted Cruz.

Marco Rubio

Who? I have a theory the Florida senator was constructed in a Republican lab to run for president.

He ran? He sure did! He announced on April 13, 2015. Rubio got the third-most delegates in the Republican Primary, and was considered a front-runner for the majority of the campaign. However, after failing to win his home state of Florida, Rubio dropped out on March 15.

His thoughts on the nominee? Rubio has stated that Trump is the "weakest front-runner in GOP history". He has also read Trump's tweets at his rallies, correcting his grammar and accusing him of wetting his pants (yes, seriously). He has since expressed regrets for doing that, and endorsed the nominee.

Is he better than Trump? Of course. Rubio has worked to reform the tax code, sought to improve educational choices for students and their families, and worked on the "Gang of Eight" immigration bill. He has also never suggested a judge could not do his job because of his Hispanic heritage, saying he felt "disturbed" by Trump's comments on the judge.

Jeb Bush

Who? He's the former governor of Florida, the son of the 41st president, and the brother of the 43rd.

He ran?! YES. JEB FREAKING BUSH RAN FOR PRESIDENT AND YOU DID NOT PICK HIM. YOU PICKED DONALD TRUMP INSTEAD OF JEB BUSH. NOW LOOK WHERE YOU ARE. GAH. He announced on June 15, 2015, and suspended on February 20.

His thoughts on the nominee? Trump went after Bush hard early on, seeing him as his biggest competition. He called him "low-energy", and referred to his wife, Columba Bush, saying, "If my wife were from Mexico, I think I would have a soft spot for people from Mexico." Bush has remained adamant in his opposition to Trump, saying he wouldn't vote for him, and that voters would feel betrayed by him.

Is he better than Trump? Is this even a question? This guy could have been the next president. He had an astounding record as governor, adding more than 1.3 million jobs and growing the economy by 7.2% on average. What he lacks in campaign mojo, he makes up for in governing chops. He's also never suggested we deport 11 million undocumented immigrants, calling it "not possible" and "not embracing American values".

John Kasich

Who? He's the current Governor of Ohio, and a former United States Representative. He was on the House Armed Services Committee, and was the chairman of the House Budget Committee, helping pass the Balanced Budget Act of 1997.

He ran?! Yep. He announced on July 21, 2015. He was the last man standing against Donald Trump, and received the fourth-most delegates in the primary. After Ted Cruz dropped, and he didn't see a clear path to the nomination, he suspended his campaign on May 4, 2016.

His thoughts on the nominee? Kasich has remained critical of Donald Trump. Even after, reportedly, being offered the vice presidential slot, Kasich has refused to endorse him, and didn't attend the Republican National Convention.

Is he better than Trump? There is no doubt. Kasich is a moderate, and has a wonderful resume of progress. He helped balance the United States budget in 1997, and is fairly popular in his home state of Ohio, winning reelection by 30 points. He was endorsed by the New York Times, and consistently out-performed the other candidates in hypothetical match-ups against Hillary Clinton. He has also never suggested we ban a group of people from entering the country based on their religion, and has said that "doesn't represent what we are".