14 Ridiculous Rules Gen Zers and Millennials Live By

These 'rules' are self-inflicted; we don't know how they came about, yet we willingly live by them.

228

Sitting in the house without much to do has made me think about all the self-imposed rules we've all somehow come to live by. Even though these rules just seemed to have appeared out of nowhere, we follow them without question.

How were we able to distinguish what type of messages these rules send (such as hurtful ones or expressions of interest)? Why do we follow these unwritten rules?

1. Leaving someone on ‘open’ or ‘read’

Playing hard to get is leaving the guy you're into on open the next time he Snaps you. For some reason, ignoring someone makes them notice you more or get their attention.

2. Read receipts

Turning on your read receipts adds attitude and power to your conversations. It's like when someone turns on read receipts specifically for their ex so that they know when you're purposely ignoring them. (It's not like I've done this before!)

3. Accepting a follow request but not requesting one back (if you know the person)

If you know the person who requested to follow you, it's definitely a bold move when you don't follow them back. It's crazy how people can assert power over each other from such things.

4. Not immediately opening or replying to a text or Snap

You know, you can't open or reply back right away because then it seems like the only thing you're doing is sitting around waiting for them.

5. Phone calling or video chatting only with people you’re close to

You can't just call up someone on the phone unless you've established some type of rapport with them. Texting is the safer option for people you're not too close to. And don't even think about FaceTiming someone you're not already dating or best friends with; that's too weird.

6. Ghosting

We've all heard of the ghosting phenomenon; instead of having the decency to reach out to someone directly to let them know you don't want to talk to them anymore, you can (and should) just ignore their messages and act like they don't exist. But, hey, I don't think I've ever actually been ghosted by anyone before, so maybe I can't give my input.

7. The thirst-trap double-standard

If a girl posts a picture in a bikini, people are going to call it a thirst-trap. But if a guy posts a story of himself working out without a shirt on every single day, his buddies are going to praise him. I really didn't want to bring up gender double-standards, but this has always stunned me.

8. Double Snapping

For some reason, it's seen as ~needy~ if you Snap someone again if they haven't replied back to you yet.

9. Sliding into the DMs

Apparently, it's socially acceptable for a guy to flirt over DMs, but it's unacceptable for women to do the same. (This didn't stop me the one time I did this, though)

10. Being the first liker/commenter on a post

I don't follow this rule, but I guess some people think it's weird to be the first person to like or comment on a post. I don't care; if I see a bomb picture on my Instagram feed, I'm not going to stop myself from liking it just because I'd be their first notification.

11. Self-promo

Social media is just another platform to promote work and inspire others. If someone doesn't support the work you're sharing with the world, they can just skip to the next post on their feed—it's not that hard.

12. Snap streaks

Let's be honest, sending someone a Snap and having them send one back every single day just to say you two have a 'streak' is stupid. Yet, some people lose sleep at night over their streaks and get offended when their streaks are broken.

13. Only taking pictures with your closest friends or the people in your friend group

I can't remember when the switch was flipped and suddenly it was awkward to take a picture with someone you aren't really close to. Vibing with someone when you're out at a club and wanting to take a picture with them to capture the moment? Incomprehensible.

14. Spamming

Every girl's been there: a guy you don't even know spams you with likes. Thanks for the likes, but, uh … why? Why is this the procedure for getting someone's attention?