I Hate Texting, And Here's Why

I Hate Texting, And Here's Why

I know I can't be the only one.

182
I Hate Texting, And Here's Why
Deseret News

I can't tell you how many times I've heard, 'I'll text you later,' 'Just text me,' or 'Why didn't you answer my text?'.

While I understand the necessity of texting in some cases and I'm familiar with the benefits of having a quick conversation, if need be, I hate texting when it becomes the primary form of communication.

I remember back in high school when I used to have three hour long conversations over text, and just the thought of it makes me cringe.

I'd much rather have a conversation with you in person than try to understand your tone or your emotions through a message. That's how misunderstandings happen. Why do you think we all freak out when someone sends short messages or writes, 'K'? It's because we can't tell what someone is really saying over text. We jump to conclusions and think someone is mad at us or is being passive-aggressive, but most of the time, they're not even thinking about how something might come across to someone else.

While I'm not advocating for an elimination of texting altogether, I think people would benefit from taking a break from it. Instead of texting your friend, call him on the phone, or go see him, if that's possible.

There are so many better ways to communicate than through text, and I'm not trying to be one of those people who hates on social media or technology because I throughly appreciate their importance in everyday life. However, I do think there comes a point when it gets to be too much, and in my opinion, spending hours texting someone during the day crosses that line.

Texting is great when it has a purpose, but don't let it be your main form of communication with your friends or loved ones.