The 10 Unspoken Rules of Texting

The 10 Unspoken Rules of Texting

New phone who this
2276

Texting works in mysterious ways. It’s almost the perfect mode for communication except when you get so frustrated to the point of smashing your phone to pieces. Some people are so against texting being a form of communication because they think it’s “informal” or they prefer to talk on the phone. But as someone who loves to write, I go hand-in-hand with texting. It gives me time to think about what I want to say and the conversations don’t even have to end like phone calls. It’s not that I have something against talking on the phone with people but text-messaging is so convenient. However, there will always be those few people who will give you major texting anxiety (is that a thing?) and claim they are “not good at texting”. Seriously? What is so hard about it? This is a guide to help you cope with that sub-species or if you are one of those “I’d-rather-call-you” people, this is for you too.

1. Don’t take hours to respond without an excuse

I get it, you’re busy and you have a life that doesn’t revolve me yadda yadda… but to take three hours between each reply after YOU started the conversation? At least let the person know that you’re busy and you can get back to them later. No one likes to feel like they’re bothering you with their texts and you’re going out of your way from you super busy life to send a lousy “lol” or “ok”.

2. Don’t send “lol”, “ok”, or anything like that unless you don’t want to talk anymore

We’ve all done this before. And if you didn’t know this before, now you know. Either this person is trying their hardest to be detached and/or formal or they just don’t want to talk anymore. Or they’re just plain obnoxious.

3. To double-text or to not double-text

I guess this depends on what kind of relationship you have with the person you’re messaging because when you’re in a close relationship, double texts aren’t really frowned upon most of the times. But if this person isn’t replying to your messages and you notice, don’t double text. For your own dignity, don’t do it. When you look back at the conversation, you’ll realize how sad that double-text was. Clearly that person doesn’t want to go through the awkwardness of saying they don’t want to talk anymore and you’re just making the situation worse.

4. Don’t be afraid to text first

If you’re talking to someone and they’re always starting the conversation, try starting it yourself once in a while. It’s not cool to let someone feel like they’re the only one who cares. Saying “hi” first won’t kill you.

5. If you’re typing, finish your text

This applies more to iPhone users because of that ellipsis that pops up when the other person is typing. There is nothing more nerve-racking than watching that ellipsis appear and disappear before nothing comes up (especially during an argument). For the love of all humankind, finish what you were saying.

6. Not everything can be abbreviated

Unless you’re in your adolescent years and you’re going through a phase, there’s no reason for you to be abbreviating more than one or two words in your text. It honestly takes longer to read.

7. Don’t have one-on-one’s in the group-chat

I know I’m guilty of this one too. If you want to talk to someone, don’t do it in the group chat unless it involves everyone else. No one likes to receive 50+ notifications for something that has nothing to do with them.

8. If you receive an essay of a text, don’t just answer to one part

If this person is upset and you have at least an ounce of consideration for their feelings, take some time to address the issue! And if you really don’t care enough, just let them know. No one likes to waste their time.

9. If you’re ignoring a text, don’t post on social media

Of course, if you want them to know you’re ignoring them, by all means do your thing and be a terrible person. But if you don’t want them to know you’re ignoring them, just don’t do it.

10. Don’t send unsolicited "dick-pics”.

Seriously dude, no one wants to see that.