10 Ways of Dealing with Stress

10 Ways of Dealing with Stress

Some old, some new.

17
10 Ways of Dealing with Stress
Fanpop

We all deal with a little bit of stress from time to time. While some anxiety can be beneficial — If we didn’t have it we would get nothing done — more often than not stress harms us. And if you’re in school, you definitely deal with stress. Where are the days of the first month of classes, where everything seemed like a review of what you learned in high school? I have no doubt that your homework has piled up since then. Have no fear, because below you will find plenty of tips, new and old, on how to deal with stress.WW

1. Smell some lavender.

Smelling some fresh lavender always calms me down. If you don’t have access to fresh lavender, you can always buy yourself a lavender-scented candle or lotion. There are lavender-scented neck rests in stores, those are good also.

2. Deep breathing in — and correctly.

Don’t underestimate the importance of deep breathing. People throughout history have used controlling the breath to calm them down. Nowadays it is especially important in yoga; It’s not just breathing in deeply that’s important, it’s breathing in correctly that’s important too. For years, I was breathing incorrectly without the knowledge of how to breathe properly. It wasn’t until recently that I realized you’re supposed to breathe in through the nose, and out through the mouth.

3. Exercise.

Not only is exercise good for losing weight and reducing your risk of developing chronic diseases; it also has benefits for your brain. Exercise increases concentrations of a chemical that moderates the brain's response to stress. It also releases endorphins which make you happy. This is the same whether you run a marathon, or if you're just walking for 30 minutes. In addition, studies have proven that exercise helps with anything from sleeping to sharpening memory.

4. Do some adult coloring.

Remember when you were a kid and colored without a care in the world? Reintroduce some of that care-free nature back into your life during a study break or while riding the bus. Coloring is great because it forces you to be mindful on something that isn’t studying or paying the bills. There’s a reason why coloring books for adults is becoming so popular. You can buy some gorgeous ones off of Amazon.com, or from Barnes & Noble. If you would rather not dish out that kind of money, you have options: you can buy coloring books from Wal-Mart or Dollar Tree, or you can print coloring pages out from online. I was lucky that Salisbury University’s library had adult coloring books that you could check out during my last semester.

5. Have a Bowl of Soup.

I don't know if it's just me, but soup relaxes me. Chicken noodle soup reminds me of being a kid again. Pho is great too, it warms you up and soothes the soul. You can find the recipe for pho here, if you'd prefer to make it yourself.

6. Watch your favorite show.

There is nothing better than being able to cast the books aside and watch good T.V., as long as you are still making an effort to be an educated adult. I loved opening Netflix on my laptop and streaming Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory. The key here is finding what shows you like and sticking to them, while being open to seeing new T.V. shows.

7. Put on your favorite sweater.

I just love being able to put on a nice sweater or an over-sized hoodie when it gets cold. It might seem small, but this small act is comforting.

8. Bake.

Baked goods might not be allowed in a diet, but that's not to say that baking doesn't have any health benefits. Baking helps with stress, according to Goodnet.org. Because the actions involved in baking -such as whisking an egg- have a meditative quality, baking helps to soften negative thinking. The smell of baked goods such as cookies, muffins, and cakes, has been proven to stimulate the senses; resulting in endorphins. Also, knowing that you are making someone happy and that you accomplished something creative, is a confidence booster.

9. Play video games.

When I was young, my mom and her friends loved to say that video games made you stupid. I disagree. Just like with T.V., as long as you are accomplishing your responsibilities, I see nothing wrong with a few hours of playing video games. So don’t hesitate to call up some of your friends for a few hours of playing Mario Party.

10. Spend time with a pet.

It's no secret, pets make us feel better. If you live on campus, you’re not allowed to have a cat or dog. However, you can still interact with animals if you pet sit for a professor or a friend who is out of town. You can also go to the Humane Society and walk the cats and dogs there; it’s mutually beneficial to students and the animals alike because the animals are bored when they don’t get walked.

So there you have it, ladies and gents: ten ways of dealing with stress when schoolwork piles up. Relax, and remember that no one has it all figured out.