The 10 Most Difficult Places To Play In The NFL

A Ranking of Homefield Advantages

7656
Fanrag Sports Network

Home field is a vital part of football, probably more vital than other sports. I only say this because there are so many games scheduled in a basketball and baseball season that the true "home field (or court) advantage" is somewhat neutralized. Everyone plays pretty much everywhere.

That being said, some teams have a better home field than others. Every stadium has a unique feel, but still, it is just more difficult to play in some places than others. These difficulties are caused by fan dedication, stadium construction, location, weather, or some combination of all of them. In order to create this ranking, I used not only home records, but also the general attitudes towards playing in each city and stadium.

10. Oakland Alameda Coliseum: Oakland Raiders

They may not have the best team ever, but my goodness do they have a loyal fanbase. The stadium may be small, and it may not be in the best condition, but the fan section known as the Black Hole is CRAZY. It is somewhat of a shame that the team may be moved to Las Vegas in the future. As good as it would be for the team, the fanbase is just so loyal. Also, the baseball diamond that is also in the middle of field in the beginning of the season makes things difficult as well.

9. New Era Field: Buffalo Bills

The fans are relatively close to the field. The football team means a lot to the city, so much so that the city becomes a ghost town when the Bills play. Add those factors together, and you get a loud stadium. Oh...and it gets VERY VERY cold in the winter. Good luck.

8. Lincoln Financial Field: Philadelphia Eagles

What's so special about this stadium? I admit, not a whole lot. However, the Eagles are known to have some of the most unruly fans in all of NFL football. They are BRUTALLY hostile. They once booed Santa Claus. No joke. It can be tough for players to block fans from getting into their heads.

7. Heinz Field: Pittsburgh Steelers

Pittsburgh loves its football and its team. They have one of the best-traveled fanbases in the NFL. But that applies on the road. At home, it gets loud. Not only is there bright yellow all across the stadium, visiting teams have to look at all those Terrible Towels. It's quite a sight to behold, but it can be annoying for opposing players.

6. Gillette Stadium: New England Patriots

The Patriots are always a good football team. The Patriots are even tougher at home. Woe to the team that has to travel to New England to face this powerhouse! The fans expect excellence, and so does their coach. It also gets cold and snowy in the winter. Have fun!

5. Sports Authority Field at Mile High: Denver Broncos

Think football is hard and exhausting? Try playing football in the mountains at high altitude. Yes, this stadium is big, has lots of loyal fans, and is located in the mountains, making it difficult to breathe. Add in the occasional snowfall and chilly temperatures, and you have one difficult place to play football.

4. Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City Chiefs

This stadium currently holds the record for the loudest crowd noise EVER at 142.2 decibels. That is equivalent to the noise on an aircraft carrier deck, and eardrum rupture occurs at about 150 decibels. John Elway once asked the referee the make the crowd be quiet during a game here, and the referee threatened to charge the Chiefs with a timeout unless the quieted down. It is LOUD. It is UNRULY, and it is difficult to play here.

3. Mercedes-Benz Superdome: New Orleans Saints

Yes, I am a little biased here. Their record as of late may not show it, but the Superdome is still tough to play in. The noise is still deafening when the game is on the line, which is a common occurrence for the Saints. Statistically, the team still plays much better at home, and it is definitely difficult for opposing teams to get a win.

2. Lambeau Field: Green Bay Packers

I LOVE Lambeau field. The fans are loyal, loud, and passionate. The place has sold out every game since 1960, and the wait list for season tickets is for 30 years. That's insane. Lambeau field itself is legendary as a frozen tundra. It gets frigidly cold in winter. When one factors in the location of the stadium, fanbase, weather, and legacy of the team, there is no doubt this is one of the toughest places to play football.

1. CenturyLink Field: Seattle Seahawks

The fans are called the 12th man for a reason. The number 12 is their jersey number. The stadium was built to purposefully keep in the noise. When an opposing team's offense takes the field, the stadium ROARS. Then, when the Seattle's offense takes the field, it becomes eerily quiet. This place has been so loud, it has actually ROCKED. The vibrations from the stadium have set off earthquake alarms on multiple occasions. Also, don't forget the unpredictable weather of Seattle. Opposing teams have their work cut out for them. This is undoubtedly the most difficult place to play in the NFL.