You Can Stay Mad

You Can Stay Mad

An eloquent rant.

13
You Can Stay Mad
atrl.net

An old, white man who goes to my church (whom I've recently unfriended) thought he was using the highest of critical thinking skills when he posted a meme regarding Michelle Obama, Malia Obama and Beyonce on Facebook. Basically, the meme made some whack-ass "point" that if Michelle Obama was really "shaken to the core" about Trump's sexual assault talk (in which he speaks about grabbing women "by the pussy") that she also wouldn't consider Beyonce to be a great role model for her daughters and that, in turn, Malia wouldn't have "twerked" (and yes, I put that in quotes because I love the first daughters but Malia needs some rhythm, Jesus. Amen.) at Lolapalooza.

I swear to the good Lord above me, I'm so tired of y'all. I'mma rent out an auditorium so you can take as many seats as needed.

Let me breakdown this headassery:

Beyonce, if you don't know, is a Black feminist icon. That's right. One more time for all the little boys on my timeline who want a woman like her but rag on feminists through memes: BEYONCE IS A BLACK FEMINIST. Cry about it, I need a good laugh.

Not only is she a Black feminist, but she incorporates Black feminism into her art ALL THE TIME. If you don't see it, it's because you're ignorant to what feminism and Black feminism is. There's nothing wrong with being ignorant, the problem is staying that way. So let me introduce you to Black feminism. Trust me, you're going to love her.

The Black Feminist Movement was born out of a need for representation. There was no room for black women ("room" as in representation or "care) in the Women's Rights Movement or in the Black Liberation Movement. For a long while in the past (and we still see this today), Black meant male and woman meant White. Thus, Black Feminism was born. Black Feminism focuses on discrimination as it happens intersectionally; this works to give exposure, care and voice to those who have been erased or marginalized. (and for the boys who are probably still crying over Beyonce, Black feminism works for more than just you not having to hold the door for me. I'll break the door down with my Black Girl Magic if it's such a hassle for you, boo). If you want to know more about Black Feminism, you can literally google it or send me a DM. Don't stay ignorant, especially if you wanna ridicule like this joker I'm about to get back to:

The issue I have with this meme that I mentioned before is this: Donald Trump's words about grabbing women "by the pussy" were not said by a dumb, stupid, naive 20-something year old who didn't know any better. This was said by a 50+ year old man. Most people would think that by then, you would know better. Yes, the footage was old, but so is Donald Trump. Too old to be making excuses like using "locker room talk." (He apologized for his words...but he's also running for president, so. Thanks? I guess.) If sexual assault comes up in your "talks with the boys" you need to reevaluate your life, because you're probably a scumbag. But, I digress.

Beyonce's songs, lyrics, narratives--all of it--have always been centered around female empowerment: being in charge of your own body, being a survivor, refusing to be objectified whilst also having control of your own sexuality and viewing yourself as sexy, however you may look. That (among many others) is the message that Beyonce is preaching. And being that she focuses on these ideals while also being a black woman (black women are constantly hyper-sexualized, demonized, "animalized" or criminalized in media and our culture) is even more profound and powerful (If you read up on stereotypes of the Black woman, you would understand, I suggest you do)!

So, while Trump's words further objectify women and reinforce toxic masculinity (and if we go off the idea that it is just "locker room talk" it also suggests that taking control of women is something to be idolized, praised or something that gives you power) Beyonce's words, actions, and general "slayage" empower women; especially Black women. This is a fact. I don't care. Fight me. I'm right.

So, if you're mad that Malia Obama tried to shake what her mama gave her at Lalapalooza and you don't have that same anger for the words that Trump spoke about women to his lil' buddies or if you think that Michelle Obama is "two-faced" or a hypocrite for liking Beyonce and being disgusted by misogyny, YOU CAN BLOCK ME, UNFRIEND ME, NEVER SPEAK TO ME AGAIN. I promise you, I won't shed one tear, honey-chile. Because you're probably low-key misogynistic or just a hater and I'm severely allergic to both. Stay mad, though.