10 Natural Hair Struggles Us Black Women Go Through

10 Annoying Natural Hair Problems Every Black Girl Has Experienced At Least Once

The love-hate relationship with our natural hair isn't excluding other races, but for anyone who can definitely relate to the struggle.

2522

Having natural hair is one of the best and worst things you can deal with. The versatility, the easy wash-n-go's and the healthy curls are what makes natural hair worth it. However, it takes a lot of work, PATIENCE, and even a lot of money. Sometimes, you just want to throw in the towel and put a relaxer back in your hair. However, not even the most frustrating moment could ever convince me to go back to a relaxer. Even though there are way more pros than cons of having natural hair, we still can't ignore these struggles:

(Also, feel free to scroll down to the end of the article for other natural hair-related articles that I wrote!)

1. Hair products are ridiculously EXPENSIVE!

I am sure that you all read websites and watched YouTube videos about the "best" products for your hair type. However, what they don't talk about is the pricing. Unfortunately, natural hair products are not cheap. They range from as low as $5 to as high as $40, possibly even higher, believe it or not. It depends on the brand and what store you purchase them from. If you want to save a little more money, try buying NATURAL products such as honey, avocado, banana, aloe, etc. for moisture, curl-locking, and conditioning. Also, not EVERY product works for everyone so I would explore and see what works with your hair the best. This is a serious thing that one must consider when going natural.

2. Seeing hair companies advertise natural hair products using models with 3B or wavier hair.

When it comes to advertising, representation has been a big issue for us 4C women. Most companies don't like to advertise with tough, tight curly hair, but still claim that these products work for us. Do you know how hard it is to detangle 4C hair? Your arms are burning after a long time of combing. There are some companies who use 4C models to show ACTUAL results, but I wish more companies would do this with all hair types. I have nothing against 1,2 or 3 hair, but it's deceiving when you buy products that don't work well for your hair.

3. Watching YouTube videos of natural hair styling and still not learning a damn thing.

You end up having to rewind the video 50 times, just to finally give up and pay someone to do your hair. You watch your favorite YouTuber style his/her/their hair effortlessly but you are damn near almost done with your coconut oil, arms burnt out, and your patience is running thin.The key is to just be patient.

4. Not being able to run your fingers though your hair easily.

Imagine having a romantic moment with your significant other. The mood is just right until they try to run their fingers through your hair and their hand gets stuck. Now what? No matter how much you comb your hair, your natural hair won't allow you to get that hassle-free feeling. It may work for a few hours, but the next day is back to square one. I wish this GIF was that simple.

5. The twisting process is a legit nightmare.

Have you ever done a twist out that really brought out your curls? Have you measured the amount of time that takes? Don't worry, all you needed to say was "too damn long." The long hours (or long time periods) are worth it because the finished results the next day are beautiful. How many times am I going to mention the burning sensation in my arms?

6. Being prone to breakage.

Given our hair texture, we are prone to a lot of breakage. It is best to find the right products and constantly moisturize our hair every day. You kind of die inside when a piece of hair falls out. It is also best to not comb your hair often because that will also play a part in straining your hair and wearing it out. Use a paddle brush instead.

7. You dread the idea of wash day.

The only reason why we dread wash day is because of the amount of time it takes to wash our hair and the drying process takes years. For those who don't know, we don't wash our hair everyday people, sue us. This is because it strips away our natural hair oils and causes damage and dryness. The average person on wash day spends about at least an hour washing their hair along with co-washing, conditioning, moisturizing, and taking a regular shower. Trust me guys, washing your hair is definitely not as graceful as this.

8. Not knowing what to do during the "awkward stage"

After doing the big chop, you can't expect a giant Afro within the next hour. Over the course of the years, your hair will grow at different lengths and you have to know what styles work best for you. If you are in the stage where you don't have a big Afro but have hair sticking out more than what you had when you first cut it, you might be in the awkward stage. You simply look and wonder what the heck are you going to do with this hair. No worries! You can style with earrings, makeup, or learn different hairstyles that work best for you.

9. "Can I touch your hair?"

Why would you even dare ask to touch my hair when you're already reaching for it. PLEASE leave me alone. No it is not a party city wig, it's actually coming straight from my scalp.

10. No matter how much you struggle with your natural hair, you choose to love it anyway because you know that there is a whole community that will help!

You should LOVE your natural hair regardless. You didn't do the big chop for nothing and the only thing you can do is embrace it. Remember, there is a whole community of women with the same struggles as you.

Read More Natural Hair-Related Articles:

Wearing A Wig, Weave Or Braids Doesn't Mean I don't Love My Natural Hair Any Less

12 Of My Favorite Natural Hair Products (Prices Included)

So, Is Natural Hair NOT For Everyone?

Going Natural Was The BEST Decision I've Ever Made! How Did I Do It?