The Pros And Cons Of Natural Hair

The Pros And Cons Of Natural Hair

Being a natural haired girl isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

1345
The Pros And Cons Of Natural Hair
Tumblr

Since going natural my senior year of high school, I have discovered an array of things both amazingly wonderful and downright annoying. I present to you all a condensed, but still accurate list of the pros and cons of having natural hair.

Pro: The versatility.

Twist outs, braid outs, crowns, wash and go's... There is a never ending list of hair styles one can try out when they're natural. You can quite literally be a new person every day of the week.

Con: Shrinkage.

If this is foreign to you, I highly suggest googling some pictures because it's unbelievable to me sometimes. You can twist and stretch and manipulate all you want, but until you actually get your hair straightened, keeping the actual length is a feat. Honestly, my hair shrinks up like no other the minute I step out of the shower and it's the most frustrating thing ever.

Pro/Con: Facing the rain.

Sometimes when it starts raining while my hair is out, I simply let the rain do its thing. My hair doesn't always turn into a giant fuzz ball immediately after getting wet, so I'll keep calm and let things be. Con: I know there are people who aren't necessarily in the same boat as me when it comes to rain. For some, rain is a sign of impending doom. Nothing good can come of it, especially on a good hair day.

Pro: Wash day.

Admittedly, this particular pro would usually be listed as a con. For me, though, I am a sucker for washing my hair. The fact that I can't do it every day makes it that much more enjoyable for me. I appreciate being able to step into the shower without a cap on and actually get my hair wet.

Con: The cost of products.

The longer a person is natural, the more the costs of products begin to pile up. For whatever reason, there seems to be some common misconception that being natural is "cheap and easy." I don't know who told this lie, but I'm putting an end to it now. Don't believe me? Take a look around a store at some natural hair products and then get back to me.

Despite all the hardships, long nights, and sore arms, going natural is a decision that I will never regret. Nothing feels better than embracing an aspect of being black that was rejected and ridiculed for so long (and still continues to be). For all of my natural haired girls out there, kudos to you for toughing it out. The journey is a long and hard one, but it isn't impossible. And for those who are considering it, you won't regret taking that first step. I promise.