Wearing A Wig, Weave, Or Braids Doesn’t Mean I Don’t Love My Natural Hair

Sincerely, a black woman who LOVES her natural hair.

358

As some of you may know based on my previous articles, I switched back to my natural hair after 8 years of chemically straightening it. Over the course of 7 months, I started to love myself more and embrace my natural curls. I was really proud of my decision and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Arielle Lewis Arielle Lewis

However, maintaining my hair routine was so much work, and let's be real, I'm extremely lazy when it comes to hair. I've always been. No one has the time to have their arms up in the air for a long period of time trying to tame their hair. The outcome looks amazing, and you can tell that I put so much time and effort into it.

But my laziness always gets in the way, and I am always in a rush. Before the big chop, I would wear box braids in my hair for the majority of the year simply because of their ease to style. Box braids meant I didn't have to worry about parting my hair and combing and brushing. I wouldn't have to worry about styling or ever having a bad hair day. As a college student, I didn't have the time to be worrying about my hair every day because I had other priorities. I wanted something that I could just wash and go without worrying about twisting.

Arielle Lewis Arielle Lewis

But the purpose of this article was to address people who have ZERO knowledge on dealing with natural hair, and for those people to stop ASSUMING that we wear weaves, wigs, and braids because we "hate" our natural hair. Let me tell you one thing.

Just because I am wearing styles that cover my natural hair, DOESN'T mean I am any less natural.

When people assume things like this, I get annoyed since many people don't understand what it's like to have my hair texture.

As I said, I love my hair, but sometimes, you just need a break from always fighting with your hair. That's the downside of having kinky hair: it's tough to manage. It's okay to throw on a wig and start your day because they are easier to manage.

I know what ignorant question is probably going on in your head: "Why don't you just straighten your hair?" Well, that makes no sense, because I'd basically be starting all over again after I just chopped my hair off and went natural. Why would I volunteer to get heat damage again?

The reason why us women enjoy wearing different styles is the versatility. We can wear our natural hair one day and wear straight, long and fake hair the next without having to damage our real hair. We like to switch it up often and wear styles that work well for us.

The styling possibilities are endless, in fact. You're less likely to have a bad hair day because the style is going to be the same. Plus, it overall gives my hair a chance to relax from the constant twisting and styling.

Another reason why we love protective styles is that they save a whole lot of money. I'd rather pay $120 for wigs and braids that will last for a few months rather than spend $20 a week on hair products and accessories that don't last long. That sounds like a good deal to me.

Arielle Lewis

The MAIN reason why I prefer these protective styles is they allow my natural hair to grow underneath. If you comb your hair constantly, your strands are more likely to fall out, whereas with a protective style, your hair gets a chance to grow out because of not combing and stretching. Every time I take my braids out, my hair grows about 2 inches longer--which is a lot of hair, if you believe me.

So yes, going natural last year made me feel free again, but after a while, it's nice to switch it up. I can now do my hair in 5 minutes rather than 5 hours.

This doesn't mean that we don't like ourselves. Wearing wigs doesn't make me any less natural, and I am a proud black woman regardless.