I Really Wish These 57 Things Had Occurred to Me in High School

High School Musical didn't provide me the in-depth education I thought it did

50
PlayBuzz

This is pretty much how I feel looking back at high school. I know this is an odd time to be posting something like this, since it's basically the middle of the fall semester. But the idea came up, and this is the time of year where people are a mix of exhausted and buzzed for the Hallowthankmas season, It's when things start to slip through the cracks. So, without further ado...

1. Study. Don't think you're too smart, don't have to, it's a waste of time, etc. Trust me when I say you'll fare better if you at least acquire the basic skills. There will come a class (in high school or college) when you'll wish you'd developed this skill.

2. If you can handle it, take AP classes or dual enroll at a nearby college. You can get college credit and you learn a lot. Plus, with dual enrollment you don't have class every day, which is a huge plus.

3. "Messing around" with a bunch of people will not make you feel better about anything. 'Nuff said.

4. Light candles, curl up in your bed, and read.

5. Actually read all the time, it's good for you.

6. Don't play the "talking" game for more than like two months. If they (or you) haven't committed by then, it's either going nowhere or going somewhere you don't want to be.

7. Don't get involved with someone in a relationship. Don't get involved with someone in a relationship. Don't get involved with someone in a relationship.

8. Study for the SAT/ACT. A good grade can do wonders for not just your college applications, but your confidence.

9. Do all and any extra credit. Ask for more extra credit.

10. Try to get teachers to like you, but not too hard. Those recommendation letters will be needed before you know it. I wouldn't be at Emory if my physics teacher hadn't written me a glowing letter about how great of a student I am (he lied.)

11. Apply to colleges you don't think you can get in to (if you want to go to them) and apply to them Early Decision.

12. Listen to music all the time.

13. This is your last chance to go to homecoming, prom, football games, etc. as a student. If you don't want to go, don't. But if you do, you should.

14. Don't end a relationship just because it's going to be long distance (here's looking at you, senior couples going to different colleges.)

15. Spend time with your family. Especially younger cousins/siblings/nieces/nephews.

16. If possible, get a job and save your money.

17. Don't let people take advantage of you just because you like them. You mentors are not perfect. Teachers, friends, upperclassmen, even church leaders can do you wrong. It's okay to not stand for it.

18. Take pictures (not just selfies.) Print them out. Hang them up.

19. Learn how to do basic things; your own laundry, cook basic meals.

20. It's okay to take time for yourself, but don't use it as an excuse to not get things done.

21. Work out and eat healthy; I wish I'd taken better care of myself in high school because I go to a college full of health nuts.

22. Weed out clothes you don't wear and get rid of them. Sell them, donate them, re-purpose them, whatever.

23. Don't immerse yourself in drama. Seniors, you're realizing that high school stuff is for the most part temporary and unnecessary.

24. Eat good food.

25. Find what you like and spend time at it. Sports, music, academic clubs, the extracurricular world is your oyster!! It’s not too late to get involved in something.

26. Volunteer in something you love. I have a friend who loves old people. I love babies. Everyone loves dogs. Find something (probably dogs) and do good.

27. If you're not already, get involved in a church. This isn't everyone's belief (especially at Emory) but it is mine, and this is my article, so I'm gonna just say that having a relationship with Jesus improved my my life by about 5151468685332121484841516515178619%, and this is something that anyone can have.

28. Get to know your guidance counselor. They'll be your biggest ally come college time, scheduling time, or any other time.

29. That being said, some guidance counselors are idiots. If yours is one of them, figure out where else you can go for help.

30. Seniors: don't pick your college based on where someone else is going.

31. Also seniors: check out the freshman dorms at whatever college you're heading to. You don't want to spend a year in a 80 square feet with no air conditioning.

32. Drink tea and find ways to de-stress. Long walks, drives, writing in a journal, cuddling with a pet or person, prayer, try everything until you find what calms you down.

33. Apply to scholarships. Some target even sophomores and juniors-- you'll have an edge because most people don't look at scholarships until the end(ish) of their senior year.

34. Get up and get breakfast every now and then (this coming from someone who gets up at 9:30 for 10am classes...)

35. Buy at least one pair of really good quality sneakers.

36. Try to keep up with the news and register to vote when you turn 18, even if its not a big election year (insert shameless plug for conservatives here).

37. No but really, don't take political advice from people you don't know anything about. This includes celebrities, authors, current politicians, and the author of this article.

38. Ladies: Be a Blair if you can. Be a Serena if you must. But never be a Jenny.

39. Men: Don't be a jerk, but don't be afraid to stand up for yourselves against men and women.

40. Find a quick way to get ready in the morning. Guys don't really have a problem with this (for the most part), but girls: my friend Abby has the perfect messy bun. Find your perfect messy bun.

41. Some friendships start to fade or transition. That's okay; it'd be weird if your group of friends was the exact same at 16 and 26.

42. Watch Gossip Girl, Friends, How I Met Your Mother, Sex in the City, etc. You'll feel a little happier.

43. Shower every day. Being clean feels so much better than dry shampoo and a makeup wipe (or an overdose of cologne.)

44. Don't eat your feelings.

45. "It is more honorable to fail than to cheat." Abraham Lincoln

46. Don't trust a lot of people with important things. Secrets, keys, anything.

47. To build on that, if you do something you don't want getting out (drugs, sex, not voting) don't tell people. It will get out and it's no one else's business.

48. Don't fritter your money, your time, or your effort.

49. You can love someone from a distance (a friend who hurt you, a troubled ex, etc.), but you can't always love them up close.

50. Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean you can't ever agree with them, and vice versa.

51. Pray for people you don't like. It might not change them, but it will change you.

52. Pray for yourself.

53. Pay attention to who doesn't support you.

54. Support them anyways.

55. Always be the bigger person.

56. "Be as you wish to seem." Socrates