Why I'm Voting For Hillary Clinton

Why I'm Voting For Hillary Clinton

#I'mWithHer

34
Why I'm Voting For Hillary Clinton
CNN/Getty Images

Two summers ago, I found myself sitting in a classroom at Valdosta State University. As a rising high school junior, I had been accepted into the Governor's Honors Program, one of my proudest and most loved opportunities to this day. Majoring in Communicative Arts, each week, I chose two new classes taught by a panel of teachers. One of those classes was titled "International Word Congress:" an examination of some of the most contestable words in the English language. My peers and I spent almost twelve hours that week discussing the meanings of words like equality, freedom, and democracy.

It is also during this class that I found my peers and I sitting ourselves in order from Conservative to Liberal based on our opinions. Suddenly, I realized that I had placed myself second to last on the Conservative end. As my teacher moved down the row, he asked each of us in turn for our reasons in classifying ourselves the way we had. Stuttering, I couldn't really explain it. "Um, my parents' beliefs? How I was raised?" I said. Before he turned away, my teacher nodded, "Yeah, but how do you feel?"

That, simply, was my lightbulb moment. How didI feel?

Flash forward two years, and I think I've found it- for now.

Come November, you will find me voting for Hillary Clinton.

When I was at GHP, I also had the chance to minor in a subject; I chose Social Studies. Deemed as a 2014 "SocStud," I again chose the classes I wanted to take each week. As for my first, I chose feminism, what easily became one of my most favorites that I took that summer. Taught by a young, enthusiastic, and amazing woman, Ms. Eleta Morrison, the class was launched into an exploration of gender stereotypes, expectations, and again the definition of true democracy. In one article we read by the C.O.O. of Facebook, Sheryl Sandberg, the following quote resonated with me:

"When a woman excels at her job, both men and women will comment that she is accomplishing a lot, but is 'not as well liked by her peers.' She is probably also 'too aggressive,' 'not a team player,' 'a bit political;' she 'can't be trusted' or is 'difficult.' Those are all things that have been said about me and almost every senior woman I know."

Inspired yet? I was.

What Sandberg voiced, is how I feel Hillary Clinton is seen today. As the first female presidential nominee in the United States, Clinton has experience as a First Lady, senator, and Secretary of State. She has also served on innumerable committees and boards advocating subjects from educational standards, to immigrant and health reform, to migrant workers, to impeachment inquiries, to woman's rights, to national security. Conversely, she has withstood much public discrimination as well.

But I also understand this- while it is an unstated fact that my opinion will meet with much disagreement, to those issues I answer thus.

The Benghazi Attack and Subsequent Emails Issue

On September 11, 2012, four United States citizens were killed in an attack on the U.S. post in Benghazi, Libya. After much controversy, Clinton herself admitted to being responsible for security at the U.S. embassy. As the year progressed, even more was leaked on the state of Clinton's emails (having used a personal email server) during the time of the attack. While Clinton escaped criminal charges, for this reason many American citizens were outraged. Following that notion, this next sentence is of my opinion and my opinion only-

If the allegations were themselves true, I believe Clinton to have purpose. Call me naive, but I believe with the responsibility as Secretary of State, Clinton knew the consequences of such actions, whether that be her email situation or the affiliation with Benghazi. I believe there to be motives unseen by the American public, of which would be endangering if known.

Clinton's Beliefs vs. Trump

For Clinton's stance on marriage equality, I again must say that I agree. I believe that all people, no matter their sexual orientation or gender identity, should be allowed the right to marry. Yes, I agree loudly that love is love. As a Christian (specifically Baptist), 18 year old, south-Georgian, recent high school graduate, I consider myself a person of many things, and one of those happens to be someone with a huge heart- yet another lesson I learned about myself while at GHP. With so many different people and ideas in the world, this is where one of my biggest problems with Donald Trump comes in. To me, Trump has become so involved with distancing himself from the classic-politician-stereotype that he is offensive. While some of his ideas seem to be a solution, they're also very extreme- i.e. building a wall and the term "live free or die." When I consider Trump's policies, I immediately think inflammatory, and that's not the image I want my president to convey. Although I think many of Trump's issues have validity and should be talked about, I don't think his ideas merit his solutions. I'm afraid that should Trump be voted into office, America will suddenly be involved in a world of new quarrels with foreign countries that I'm not sure we would win. I am afraid that Trump's own financial standing will make it easier for him to overlook the tax controversy and specifically what it means for working class Americans. I'm afraid that Trump looks at subjects in too wide of a frame and does not cut out the background noise.

I highly encourage everyone to take a look at both of their campaign websites, too. Even on first look, Clinton is more concerned with explaining her positions than Trump.

So. In Light of the Democratic National Convention?

This past week saw the beginning and end of the 2016 Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. Considering it followed the Republican National Convention, I think both parties have a problem with needing to compromise. If either one expects to win, some Americans are going to have to make a tough decision. Already I have heard many people say that in lieu of having to make a choice, they just won't vote when time comes in November. To them, I can only say- I am disappointed, disheartened, and disgusted. So what if your opinions don't align exactly with either of the candidates? I promise that if you pray about it long enough, you'll be able to choose. And I can also say that while I will vote Clinton, should Trump win in the fall, I will get off my high horse and support him as the next leader of the United States of America.

What I'm really trying to say people?

Take a page from Ted Cruz and "vote your conscience." I sure will be.

#I'mWithHer