6 Facts That Prove Dance Is Most Definitely A Sport

Don't mock it till you try it.

2300

According to the Oxford Dictionary, a sport is defined as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." Dancing is, in fact, a physical activity that requires rigorous training and dedication. There are dancers who live and breathe to entertain, who are apart of teams that compete against others, or who are even just individuals who dance for exercise. Dance is especially unique because it's not only a sport but an art, as well.

Being apart of a dance team entails the same amount of teamwork and determination as any other sports team. Even if someone dances solo, the amount of effort that is required is astonishing. In reality, dance demands more coordination than most sports out there.

You don't need to "play" an activity in order to be participating in physical exercise. An activity does not need to involve a ball or a racket to be considered a sport. Any dancer could argue that dance is undeniably a sport. Here are just a few out of the many reasons why.

There are countless of skills required.

Not everyone has the skills to become a successful dancer. Demonstrating both physical strength and endurance are necessary when performing a dance routine. Being apart of a dance team requires the ability to collaborate as a team, similar to other sports. Other qualities dancers possess involve more talent such as technique, balance, and flexibility.

You break a sweat.

Dancing is a full body workout. Just like many other sports teams, dance involves warming up, stretching, and building muscle. Dance can demand lots of exhausting physical movements much like how a basketball player has to run up and down a count. The only difference between the two is that dancers can't show how tired they are during a performance.

Uniforms are required.

Wearing distinctive clothing or uniforms is important to really any sport. By wearing the same clothes as your team, it shows others what organization you're apart of. Dancers often have the same costumes or attire as everyone in their dance group.

You practice an intense amount.

Every sport has to prepare and train. Soccer players have to practice before their soccer games; lacrosse players have to prepare for their lacrosse games, just how dancers need to rehearse before their performances. Many people underestimate the number of time dancers spend practicing. It's actually very difficult to learn a routine, memorize it, and be synchronized with all of the other dancers.

It's very competitive.

Dancers have opponents and competitors just like other sports organizations. Players and dancers are both proving their performance and athletic skills to their competition, while also providing entertainment.

Dancing can lead to injuries.

There are probably people out there who view dancing as delicate. However, dancers experience many of the common injuries that other sports do. In dance, it's far too easy to overstretch and pull a muscle. When doing any strenuous physical activity like dancing, it's possible to have many injuries from an ankle sprain to a dislocated hip.

Dancing requires just as much activity and skill as any other sport. The amount of strength, endurance, and practice needed for a dance routine is outrageous, while simultaneously making every move you make appear effortless. So go ahead and try to tell me that dancers aren't athletes.