Credit: West Albany Art
Pin It
// At Curry College

10 Reasons Why Dance Is A Sport

If you don't think dance is a sport, look at these reasons.

Add to Collection

To add this article to a collection, you must be logged in.

The dictionary definition of a sport is, an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature. This definition perfectly applies to the activity of dance, so why is it not considered a sport? If you need more convincing that dance is in fact a sport, read these reasons.

1. We compete

The biggest thing that a sports team does is compete against other teams. Have you ever been to a dance competition? It is just as competitive as sports games except with more music and hairspray. Dancers even gain points and win trophies.

2. Its a workout

If you have ever done dance before, you know its not a good practice unless you end up really sweaty and breathless. If you want a good workout, come to a dance practice or two.

3. We stretch

You have to stretch before you do anything physical so you dont pull a muscle. The only difference is with dance you are dancing to become not only stretched but the most flexible you can be.

4. We gain muscle

A typical dance warm up involves push-ups for arm muscles, crunches for abs and, most importantly, plies for leg muscles. Dancers may not look as muscular as other jocks but thats because our muscles are compact to make our dance moves better and prettier.

5. You need good stamina

For any sport you need the ability to run back and forth across a field. Well, for dancers to do three to four minute intense dances you need the stamina of an Olympic runner.

6. We have uniforms

.Well, our uniforms are called costumes but its the same idea. Our uniforms are usually just a lot more glittery or flowy.

7. We could have equipment

You might say how could it be a sport if you dont have anything like a baseball, basketball, or football. Who says we cant? We could incorporate balls into our dances and other equipment that athletes use, they would just be called props. Plus there are tons of activities that are considered sports that dont involve balls, like swimming, and track.

8. We have to remember things

Athletes need to remember plays or sets to pull off during a game and we remember entire dances to perform for everyone. So, while what athletes remember is only a small portion of what they do, for dancers their memory is one of the most important things we use.

9. We get injured

Dance is just as intense as any other sport and can be dangerous at times. If you fail to pull off a certain move correctly, you can get seriously hurt. Just like with lacrosse or football, dancers must be careful to keep themselves from getting injured.

10. Dance is difficult

If you are still not convinced that dance is a sport, try to kick your foot over your head. Try to do four turns in a row. Try to do a split or a straddle leap. Or just try pointe. All while keeping a smile on your face and making everything look effortless. Dance is just as difficult, if not even more difficult in its own way, than any other sport. So dance is a sport.

Hi I'm Jillian. I'm a psychology major who is obsessed with dance, baby animals, and clouds.

Like Odyssey on Facebook