Why 2016 wasn't the worst

Why 2016 wasn't the worst

Some of the good moments

6
Why 2016 wasn't the worst
Kiplinger

All over social media, I see posts about how horrible 2016 has been. Sure, we’ve lost so many amazing people, including Carrie Fisher as the most recent but we can’t look only at the negatives. Between transgender bathrooms and police brutatlity, the election was rough, and riots across the country continue to divide us however we need to cling to some of the goodness left in humanity that has happened during 2016.

1; A leap for Science

The Kepler discovery in 2016 led to the finding of 1,284 planets which is the most that have been found in a single exploration. Scientists continue to explore the unknown frontier and continue to find more hope that we may one day find another earth.

2; Sudan

In South Sudan, Everyvillage handed out around 12,000 hand radios. 5,048 Sudanese also turned to Christ due to this radio.

3; A Christian Christmas

Voice of the Marters sent out 50,000 Christmas care packages to persecuted Christians. It is so important to realize that just because it isn’t happening in America, does not mean it isn’t happening to others.

4; Einstein was right

Another huge leap for Science, Scientists have now confirmed Einstein’s’ 100-year-old theory of Relativity.

5; Tigers

World Tiger Count rose for the first time in 100 years in 2016. With many animals continuing to go extinct, including Bees and Rhinos, it is so important that we try and conserve the animal wildlife.

6; Money Makeover

Harriet Tubman is set to replace Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill. Andrew Jackson was a slave owner while president, so many considered this a huge win for African Americans.

7; Teen birth rate

This year Teen births reached an all-time low. Maybe we can thank Teen Mom for this, as it shows the hardships young mothers can face.

8; Simone Biles

Simon Biles, at only 19, helped bring home medals from the Rio Olympics. Biles brought home 5 medals for the U.S, making her the first African-American woman to win all-around Gold. Talk about #Blackgirlmagic.

9; Measles free

In 2016, no measles cases were reported thanks to modern medicine.

10; Chicago Cubs

The Cubs won the world series. The last time they won was in 1908, meaning that few people are even still alive who saw the game back then. 2016 was the year for miracles.

11; High school graduation rate

This year rates reached a record high as initiatives were put in place to help those who are trying to work and go to school.

As I read the other day, your life can be what you make it. Despite the bad, babies were born, lovers got married, and someone made their dreams come true. 2017 is a new chance, so go and seize the year.