Why I'm White And Tired Of Being Called A Racist

What century do we live in, again?
3251

Every single day, for as long as I can remember, race has always played a role in society. Hate crimes, racial slurs, and prejudices don't even scratch the surface of how poorly America has grown. However, that is not the focus here. The purpose of this 'rant', if you will, is to express the feelings of many white folk --- I am sick of being called a racist simply because I am Caucasian.

I grew up in the suburbs of Upstate New York and went to a high school with a graduating class of nearly 800 kids. I spent the first 18 years of my life in a predominantly all white area with very minimal interaction with people of other descents. Now, I am not saying I had never met a Latina before or anything, but my view of race was relatively one sided.

Upon graduating, I moved 1,500 miles South to a private college in South Florida. I quickly realized that I had become the minority in comparison to the mass of my peers. My school prides itself on diversity and attempts to create a student body of similar race ratios to the country as a whole.

I have now spent two years in South Florida. I have met a great range of people and learned so much about cultures different from my own. I have gained an appreciation for the many dances of India, the bonds between Latin Greek life, and the variety of religions I have come to be surrounded by.

I am happy to say that I have friends of every size, shape, color, ethnic background, religion, etc. This is the twenty first century, and the fact that people still discriminate against other human beings because of their skin color or because they wear a Holy symbol is absolutely ridiculous.

What is even more ridiculous is being accused of being a racist because of my race. Let that sink in for a moment. Oh, the irony. As I sit here waiting for my oil change, writing this little rant, the title of my article is bolded at the top of the screen. Guess how many people have walked by and given me a dirty look... three.

I may drink too much Starbucks and wear white Converse too often. I enjoy Lilly Pulitzer and have my sorority flag hung in my room. Call me a "basic white girl" if you must, but one thing I am not is racist. I do not look down on someone because they are different from me.

Discrimination isn't a joke. I am tired of feeling like I must watch every sentence that comes out of my mouth because someone will turn the words into a racial comment.

"Do you like white or dark chocolate?"

"I like both, but prefer white becau- "

"OOOO RACCIIISSST!"

This actually happened to me a few weeks ago. I rolled my eyes and ignored the ignorant comment. Race should not be something that gets brought into everyday conversations.

America is supposed to be the "greatest country on Earth", but what wonderful country says it's okay to be hateful and cruel to one another? This nation was built on a variety of different people and wonderful cultures. So, how about we stop hating each other and start enjoying all the positives we all have to offer.