Announcing The Commencement Of The Annual Purge
popular

It's election month.

118879
Vimeo

Picture this. Waking up to the sound of the annual Purge announcement. If you aren't familiar with the Purge or it's famous speech, here it is:

"This is not a test. This is your emergency broadcast system announcing the commencement of the Annual Purge sanctioned by the U.S Government. Weapons of class 4 and lower have been authorized for use during the Purge. All other weapons are restricted. Government officials of ranking 10 have been granted immunity from the Purge and shall not be harmed. Commencing at the siren, any and all crime, including murder, will be legal for 12 continuous hours. Police, fire, and emergency medical services will be unavailable until tomorrow morning, until 7 a.m., when the Purge concludes. Blessed by our New Founding Fathers and America, a nation reborn. May God be with you all."

That's insane, right? Or is it? Could you imagine, living in a world where for one night a year, you're allowed to commit any sort of crime you'd desire to? Including murder? How would you even be able to live knowing someone may be out to get you? What precautions would you take before the annual Purge began?

I feel like we've come to a point in our lives where we're not there yet, but we're pretty damn close to coming to a world that's going to get taken over by people who could care less. People who would willingly participate in something likeThe Purge and people who would take over the government in order to start something so serious and so devastating. With the many mass shootings that occur and the kidnapping, mysterious murder scenes, and the breaking-and-entering, we're heading in that direction. I feel as if people no longer care what the consequences are going to be, they just do what they want in the moment. No one thinks about what's going to happen to them if they do something illegal, they just do it.

If the Purge were to happen in the future, would you participate? Are people going to buy weapons just to go after people, because it's 'normal' for the day? In the newest Purge movie, The Purge: Election Year, you see people purging around the time of the new presidential election. As crazy as it sounds, with everything going on in this world between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, the looks of the movie make it seem so much more realistic. Everyone in this country is going absolutely insane over this election. No one really wants either of them running our country, and while watching the movie, I got terrified that this could actually happen. What if a Purge breaks out over this election? What is the World going to do when we get a new president?

So, I ask you this. Would you ever feel comfortable living in a world where one night a year, all crime is legal? Would you participate in such a horrifying night? Or would you be a bystander, acknowledging all of the idiots who actually feel the need to kill someone just because it's 'legal' for the night?

If the purge were to ever happen, I wouldn't be surprised. With this upcoming election, it seems that anything is possible. Let's purge. (Kidding, let's please not.)