What's Special About A College Town?

What's Special About A College Town?

I have realized while going to school at OU that I don't need a big city or the beach to have fun; I just need my friends.

34
What's Special About A College Town?
Zazzle

Over winter break, as I sat above the noise of Los Angeles, California, and looked down upon the city, I began to wonder why as a student at OU, I had only gone to OKC twice in my two years of school. It seems that all my friends who go to schools in cities talk about all the activities they do and places they can go. They go to the beach, they go to see plays, concerts, events, etc. They talk about all the fabulous restaurants and how they’re never “bored.” Then, they ask me what I do in Oklahoma. For some reason, every time they ask, they have a little laugh at the end, as if people in Oklahoma don’t have fun. It bothers me every time because I know they won’t understand why I love it there so much, and actually have more fun while away at OU.

I talk about how Norman is a college town, we go out, we have fun with friends, go to the movies, hikes, and that we have OKC next to us. Anytime I talk about Oklahoma City, they say “ohhh” as if that’s the reason I go to school in Norman, and that I must go there all the time to have fun. For awhile, I felt as though I needed to prove something for some reason. As if I needed to go to OKC more often to have more fun. I started to plan events with friends and yes, it was fun. However, I realized that I like spending my time with friends in Norman more. Why is that?

If there is one thing that I have learned while going to school at the University of Oklahoma, it is that I don’t need a beach, or a city, or a million activities - I just need good company. I love my friends. I love that we don’t need an activity or somewhere to go to have fun. I love Norman. I love that I am constantly surrounded by people who go to my school, are my age, and say Boomer Sooner. I love the school spirit the whole town has, and that I can have fun with my friends whether we go out or stay in. I love that we don’t have to pay much money to go do things and have fun. I love the restaurants in Norman. I love that sometimes, my friends and I just go to Sonic, sit in the car and talk because that’s all we need to have fun: each other.

A college town is unique because it is full of school spirit. I am always around other students that are my age and everyone always has a good time. It is simple, easy, and fun. I feel as though I am constantly busy. I don’t need to plan to go somewhere, or into the city and take that time to have fun. I already am having fun.

I guess it’s hard to understand unless you experience it, but that’s why college towns are so great. That’s why schools like OU are so popular and big; because it is a once in a lifetime experience, that will make you never want to graduate and leave. I love Norman, I love the people here, and I love my friends. I don’t need anything else.