What Your Trump Vote Really Means

What Your Trump Vote Really Means

Just my two cents.

8
What Your Trump Vote Really Means
slate.com

I don't doubt you when you say that you aren't sexist. I don't doubt you when you say that you aren't homophobic. Also, I don't doubt you when you say that you aren't a cruel bigot. Why I am doubtful of Trump supporters is because of those who have refused to acknowledge the horrors of what he said, the horrors of how wrongly he has addressed so many minorities. I'm doubtful of those who are in denial of the momentum of hate he has started in America, in my own school, etc. They are quick to blame Obama for dividing our country more than ever, but continue to ignore how the KKK has slowly emerged once again soon after endorsing the infamous Trump.

I'm not here to sit and call you all bigots, sexists, and racists. I'm just concerned that you don't know the reality of the vote you have cast. Surely, there are many that voted out of discontent with Hillary or those who voted because they preferred Trump's fiscal policies. To each his own, right? But it's back to this ignorance of Trump's hate that exists among a portion of his voters. It is also those who have taken Trump's policy as this new "freedom" to bully and be hateful towards others. This is what I'm concerned about.

No politician's policies will benefit everyone 100%, there is no possible way for that to happen, but many are unaware of what Trump is capable of doing. With a complete Republican congress, a lot of change can come, and I am afraid to say the change may go in the wrong direction for many. Because of his win, many people of diverse backgrounds now live in fear of their civil rights and human rights being stripped from them. Women are fearing they will lose their access to birth control and reasonable, safe healthcare. Muslims are fearing they cannot dress traditionally because Islamophobia is thriving once again. Latino(a)s are fearing deportation in a country they have lived in their whole lives. All because of this man's mouth and the power he now has.

To top all of this off, I have seen so much hate and bullying emerge once again. I've seen innocent students be called profane names among many other unruly comments. How is this acceptable? Trump has allowed for this momentum of hate to snowball. Now there are many people who fear no consequence and are beginning to release all of their hate and hurtful comments. How is this going to be stopped? I surely know the entire Trump supporter demographic isn't like this, but why are we letting these people be so hurtful and hateful? This has been such a depressing time for me, and all of this hatred and fear instilled in many is so heartbreaking to see.

My point is, your Trump vote has opened up a gate for hate, propaganda, and fear. I am well aware that many people did have valid reasons for the vote they cast, but I worry about those who deny the horrible change this presidency may cause. Many things will be overturned that we have worked on for years to establish. People finally were starting to feel a sense of unity as racial walls had begun to come down. Change was happening and I fear that we have halted it, and that it may even reverse. This is by no means an attack on those who were and still are Trump supporters. I am just hoping that those who voted for Trump are concerned with the oppression of those who will not benefit from his presidency. I am just hoping that as a country we can overcome this hate and fear, break barriers, and work our way to truly uniting as a country.