What The Heck Is A VSCO Girl & Why Am I One Of Them

Seriously, who came up with this?

117
Zoe James

As per many a YouTube video as of late (seriously, so many videos), I've been noticing a new breed of teenage girl popping up on social media.

Five or six years ago, we had the Tumblr Girl era, characterized by fairy lights and band posters, crop tops and penny boards, beanies and Starbucks, dip dyed hair and high waisted shorts. Since then, the Tumblr craze has minimized, and having an "aesthetic" theme on your blog is no longer as sought after.

Instead, the equivalent of a cool theme on your blog is having a cohesive feed on apps like Instagram and VSCO, and that's where the VSCO Girl comes in.

For those who don't use editing apps for their photos, you may not know what VSCO — pronounced "vis-co" — is. VSCO is essentially a photo editing app, offering different presets/filters, global adjustment tools and other basic editing tools, along with an option to post photos to followers, similarly to Instagram.

But what exactly is a VSCO Girl?

Per Urban Dictionary, the top definition is a girl who "wears oversized t-shirts or sweatshirt with Nike shorts. Has Vans, Crocs, Birks, and wears a shell necklace. She also wears tube tops and Jean shorts. She always has a hydroflask. She can't leave home without a scrunchie and her favorite car is a Jeep."

VSCO Girls are also typically seen drinking with a reusable metal straw, adding excessive grain on her photos, carrying a Fjallraven Kanken backpack, wearing friendship bracelets, and spraying her face with Mario Badescu Rosewater Spray. Her computer and reusable Hydroflask water bottle are decked out in stickers. Her scrunchie secures her effortlessly messy messy bun at all times.

VSCO Girls care about the planet as we can tell with the reusable bottle and metal straw, like to be comfy with their clothing and footwear, and appreciate a cute photo. This new type of basic doesn't seem all that bad, and, unfortunately or fortunately, I think I might be one of them.

Oversized tees are my actual favorite. Find me shopping in the XL section at any thrift store or TJ Maxx for a new figure-swallowing top.

Reusable straws and cups? I don't leave the house without my SIC cup with a reusable straw in it.

I have a scrunchie on my wrist and one in my hair as I type this.

I own several pairs of Vans, a pair of Birkenstocks, and love my Mario Badescu sprays.

My backpack is a waterproof knockoff version of a Fjallraven Kanken.

Jean shorts are my favorite bottoms to wear.

My photos are grainy and edited and I live in a messy bun.

I think I might be a VSCO Girl, but I definitely didn't mean to be one.