What 'Mulan' Taught Me About Life

What 'Mulan' Taught Me About Life

All the reasons "Mulan" is my favorite DIsney movie and what I learned from it.

449
What 'Mulan' Taught Me About Life
quotesgram.com

No this isn't just an excuse to re-watch my favorite Disney movie of all time...or is it? At almost 21 years old I've been doing a bit of reminiscing on my life thus far, especially my childhood, and something that came to mind is my love of Disney movies. Now when people ask the familiar question, "What's your favorite Disney movie?" I can see that they're usually surprised to hear me answer that it is "Mulan." I have no idea why "Mulan" isn't the most popular Disney movie because to me it was one of the best. Not the usual generic Disney princess movie, but one where you can actually learn something about good character. So I decided to re-watch "Mulan" and pick out all the things that I want to take away from the movie as well as what "Mulan" has taught me about life.

Here we go!!

Well now I want to learn how to do calligraphy...just saying.

Life may throw some distractions at you, like the guard on the Great Wall of China who was supposed to be doing his job but got distracted by the Huns leader, Shan Yu's, falcon. But if you just ignore it and stay on track, you can still get your job done -- like lighting a fire so that China knows the Huns are coming.

When facing a threat, never underestimate the enemy. You should be prepared for anything, like a Hun army coming to attack China, and make sure you use all of your resources to win.

Don't be afraid to ask people for help. You never know, with the right incentive, they might be willing to do you a favor.

Always be prepared for all possibilities -- like knowing that you are clumsy and will probably break your teacup so it is best to bring a spare one.

Don't just blindly go full steam ahead in life. Sometimes it makes sense to look back at the destruction you may have caused on your journey and adjust yourself so not as many people get hurt.

The reason women still have to deal with a lack of gender equality is because of deep rooted traditions that go back hundreds of years. But we shouldn't give up in the battle of gender equality, because we've definitely come a long way from how women were treated as objects for bearing sons back in Mulan's day.

To do a bomb winged liner, just use confident and sure strokes.

Don't cheat on tests. Especially by writing on your hands...

Other people are not always right. The matchmaker said that Mulan would never bring her family honor...but she did in the end -- by saving China.

Don't count on your outer appearance to show others who you are on the inside. Through your words and actions, you can show people who you really are.

Even if you are a late bloomer it doesn't mean that life over. You just have to give yourself some time to reach your full potential.

Sometimes you have to do things and make hard decisions to save the ones you love.

Don't try to pretend to be something you're not. You will look like a fool.

Men are disgusting sometimes...

Li Shang is by far the hottest Disney Prince in existence.

It's really easy to get caught cheating...so don't do it.

This is how to be a man... apparently. Also the lyrics to the best Disney song ever created.

With hard work you can succeed.

When trying to keep a secret and maybe doing reckless things, like taking a bath in a public place when you're a girl trying to be a guy, is a bad idea.

Sometimes people need a little motivation...

Sometimes the things that we value, such as intelligence and outspokenness, isn't what a guy is looking for. But it is better to stay true to ourselves, and a guy who respects you for all that you are will show up.

Death happens, and there's nothing we can do about that. But sometimes you will need to be prepared to go on as usual because you have responsibilities.

Sometimes it takes a little bravery and smarts to think outside the box to get the right results.

There's no such thing as a little white lie. If you lie, you have to be ready to deal with the very real possibility that you could get caught.

It's good to have people around to help keep you warm at night...sometimes literally.

When someone tells you that something is urgent, you should hear them out first before judging them; it could be important.

Even if you don't have a plan at the beginning, don't worry. You can figure it out. It helps if you have some skills like Mulan, though.

It's OK to take risks sometimes, because the reward can be very worth it.

Think before you speak. Then maybe you will find better words to express your feelings.

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

You might head into an adventure with a sole purpose in mind but end up finding something else as well.

Overall, "Mulan" taught me to try to live outside of society's norms. Back then in China they wanted women to be nothing more than porcelain dolls to bear sons. But Mulan knew that this was not who she was meant to be and took her fate into her own hands. She taught me to be brave and not to be afraid of taking risks; that if I work hard I can be just as good as anyone else at what I want to do. This is why "Mulan" is my favorite Disney movie.