What I Miss Most About London Pubs

What I Miss Most About London Pubs

Perhaps one of the things I miss most about London is the pub culture.

78
What I Miss Most About London Pubs
Blu-ray

These past few days, it has been rather cold and rainy at Dickinson College, and while most people despise it, I find myself in a heavenly state. I love this kind of weather, especially when it surprises us in the spring.

Toward the fall, I expect the weather to come around, but as spring progresses into summer, the temperature should be getting warmer. It makes it so much sweeter when the cold does come back for a surprise return.

The latest weather reminded me of my time this past summer studying abroad in London. It is hard to believe that this was already almost a year ago. I enjoyed many things about London and hope to return there again at some point.

I certainly miss the easy access to Doctor Who. I miss having pasties in the morning -- one of my favorite breakfast foods. I miss certain British snacks and ice cream, and I miss having coins in my pocket that mattered. I really miss British culture in general. Perhaps one of the things I miss most about London is the pub culture.

I remember one of my more memorable experiences while in London was having the opportunity to watch the Champions League Final, between Juventus F.C. and F.C. Barcelona. I had yet to ever find such a positive atmosphere toward football before, and the excitement throughout the pub was electrifying.

I had conversations with random people about the game, often sharing our different perspectives and commentaries. In the United States, I love Buffalo Wild Wings -- they have great food and a great atmosphere. But not even a World Cup match there even came close to what it felt like in the pub.

I also miss the general pub layout and setting. For one thing, in London, pubs existed on just about every street corner you could find. It made it super easy to find one within the city, and even easier to walk from one to another. Each pub had its own distinct name, sometimes with a backstory to tell

Within the pub itself, I miss the informal coming and going as one pleases. Often times, the pub had a more open air type of feel, with doors being swung wide open, inviting people to enter.Because one paid every time he or she got a drink, it enabled people to just drink until they were done and walk back. Certainly, one could sit at a table and order if one wanted to as well, but it provided a different experience. (I often did this when I was getting dinner.)

Lastly, I miss the history of the pubs. Some pubs had origins back to well beyond the 20th century. It always fascinated me to think about whom in history sat in the same location of the pub as I did. It was really cool to try to track down some of the oldest pubs in England and go to them. One of the pubs I came across while researching for an assignment was The Eight Bells, which was originally founded in 1629.

All of this brings me to Market Cross Pub and Brewery. The restaurant models itself after an English pub, and with a lot of success. Their décor matches what one would expect at a pub, and the immediate bar on the right lines up with a lot of the arrangements within a London pub.

It will never be a truly authentic pub, the culture in Carlisle would not allow for it -- however, it certainly tries its best and succeeds in making it a popular place to be. And for me, it is easily my favorite restaurant around Dickinson College.