What College Sports Have Taught Me

What College Sports Have Taught Me

90 minute games has taught me so much more than how to score a goal

234
What College Sports Have Taught Me

At any level, being a college athlete is a huge commitment. You apply to schools in hopes that you'll be able to step out on the field, you work your butt off every morning during conditioning, and then go out on the turf for actual practice (and don't forget those lifts at night). Being a student athlete is more than just playing a sport because you love it - it is something that shapes you as a person.

You come to school two weeks early for the strenuous pre-season and kill your body. You have two weeks with no one other than your teammates who you respect, but also fight with to earn your spot on the field. You eat, sleep and breathe your sport for weeks and when classes come around, you are happy to have an hour break of sitting in a chair and crushing two water bottles before you run to practice again.

College sports teach you more than how to become a better athlete. It teaches you about yourself as a person and how to be an adult. You realize that time is precious- and not to be wasted. You perfect your time management skills, because college athletes don't always have time to think about doing homework. You even adapt to reading on the bus (even when you thought you'd get car sick). You realize that when you put your mind to something, you can do it...even if it is ten full field sprints that are timed. You realize that you don't make many excuses anymore, because making excuses does not get you anywhere quickly.

The biggest thing that I have gotten out of college sports is that your teammates are your biggest supporters. Although you may not see eye to eye all of the time, everyone on the team has the same goal, to win. You may be fighting with that person the field to make sure they don't steal your position, but there is a mutual respect. Respect is earned on and off the field. You want to see your teammates do well. You acknowledge a teammate if they made a great save, or great cross that lead to a phenomenal goal. Even if you are on the sidelines, you want to see your teammates do well, but it also reflects on you. Being a cheerleader screaming your head off because you want to create the uplifting atmosphere for your teammates, is such a crucial part of team sports. Every person on the team has a role, and it makes the season so much better when everyone has a positive attitude. Overall, being a good teammate, looking out for one another and going the extra mile for your team will make such a huge impact on your season.

College is stressful enough, and adding sports can make it so much crazier. With everything a team goes through, there are so many take a ways that sports bring you; it shapes you into the committed, smart and goal oriented person you will become in the life after college. Sports will always be a part of your life, and that is something to be proud of. You have earned all of your accomplishments by working hard in the classroom and on the field.