The Trump Economic Plan

The Trump Economic Plan

Is it really a plan though?

10
The Trump Economic Plan
CNN

As we move closer to Donald Trump's Inauguration Day, here is an inside look at what he wants to accomplish during his four years in the White House.

The Wall

No, not the Pink Floyd album, the one that he wants to build across the 1,000 mile U.S./Mexico border (excluding natural barriers). This was one of the highlights of the Trump campaign that caught A LOT of media attention. Trump has called for a 35-40 foot wall that will help lower illegal immigration. However, this does come at a cost... Or does it? Trump says that Mexico will pay for the wall. Furthermore, the President of Mexico has said, "I'm not paying for that f#cking wall." So, if we're paying for the wall that is an extra few billion to the budget. How many billions to be exact? At first, he said $8 billion and now it is somewhere between $10-12 billion? In the terms of a fiscal conservative, that doesn't sound conservative to me. To put up an unnecessary wall for 10-12 billion? Really?

Entitlements

Donald Trump has been quoted saying that he will NOT touch entitlements which include Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Food Stamps etc. Entitlements take up approximately two-thirds of the federal budget. Unfortunately, when you won't cut anywhere within the two-thirds there must be EXTENSIVE cuts within the other one-third, right? Well, let's take a look.

(The Rest of Public Spending)

Donald Trump wants to fix our infrastructure. Great idea, right? Well, that comes at a cost $226 billion over the next 10 years. Who is going to pay for this? The shrinking middle class? I doubt that! Donald Trump wants to BOLSTER up the military. According to Forbes, Trump will increase military spending by $500 billion to $1 trillion!! Who is paying for all of this?!

De-Regulation(?)

Donald Trump claims that over-regulation costs the United States $2 Trillion a year. However, he has wanted to implement huge tariffs on foreign goods. If they are made elsewhere there will be a 35% tax, therefore driving prices of goods way up. He wants to make sure that we make as many goods here as possible. However, his own products aren't even made here, but he wants to force businesses to stay here? Double standard much? Ford was planning on moving to Mexico but decided to stay because of the tariff threat and it is good publicity (which raises stock prices and overall company value). Is it sustainable? Who knows, but keeping us isolationists product and service wise is not good business.

Tax Plan

Oh yes, the interesting tax plan. Donald Trump wants to slash taxes which sounds great but you have to cut spending and/or mess around with regulations that can streamline spending. On average taxpayers will be paying $1,818 less than they currently do so with everyone paying less, but the border wall, bloated military and infrastructure may be too much to handle. Trump hopes that over one million jobs will be created so more people have money to put back into the economy.

The Federal Budget

With the new REPUBLICAN lead budget coming out there have been critics. One is REPUBLICAN Kentucky Senator, Rand Paul. He is truly a fiscal conservative and after looking at the budget it will add $9.7 Trillion to the debt over the next 10 years. $970 Billion will be added to the debt every year for the next 10 years even though the GOP claims it is supposed to balance. Senator Paul said, If it were the Democrats putting up a budget that would add $9.7 Trillion to the debt over the next ten years the Republicans would be up in arms. This is not Trump's doing but he is the leader if their party now and needs to take a stand on this.

Adding all of these expenses and bringing in less revenue will KILL the economy assuming that his plans won't "add enough jobs to have people reinvest in the economy." For a savvy businessman, Donald Trump, and the GOP have a lot of work to do. For a party that runs on the idea of a balanced budget, they aren't doing a great job. We'll have to wait and see what Trump and the GOP do, but all we can do now is wait.