10 Ways to Treat Yourself During a Time of Self-Healing

10 ways to find yourself in the darkest of times.

33
personal photo

We all have those moments in our lives where it seems like there is nothing that can stop the pain. Turns out, there is. You can choose to love yourself and treat yourself even when times are rough.

Here’s 10 ways that I like to treat myself when my world feels upside down:

1.Have a night at home just to yourself. 

Have a personal healing night at home to yourself. Take a hot bubble bath. Make sure to add your favorite bath bomb. Read a chapter of your favorite book, or read a chapter in the Bible of someone who faced a similar situation. Go buy yourself a face mask and a hair mask. Make yourself your favorite meal and dessert. Treat yourself to a little spa night and allow yourself time to heal.

2. Try changing up your hairstyle.

“A woman who cuts her hair is about to change her life.” - Coco Chanel

Hair is by far my favorite thing to change up. It makes me feel so much better. Cutting my hair makes me feel like I’m cutting out a bad part of my life, and I often find it the best therapy for a bad period of time. Whether you cut your hair or change the color, it’ll always be the best way to freshen things up.

Go for a cool color that you’ve always wanted, or by all means start living the bangs life. Changing up your hair will make you love yourself more, and that’s exactly what you need to do in a hard time.

3. Take a hike. Literally. 

TAKE A HIKE.

Go for an adventure to your favorite place or a place you’ve never been before. Get lost. Go see a gorgeous waterfall or gorge. Hike to the top of your local mountain range. Taking hikes will always refreshen the soul and help to clear your mind. Nature is the best way to lose yourself and find yourself all at the same time.

4. Treat yourself to an online shopping gift. 

Gift yourself.

My all time favorite way to gift myself is by placing an online order. It takes patience and time to receive it, and it personally makes me appreciate it more. I think ordering stuff online is a lot like life.

We often pay the price and choose our options, and then we have to have patience for the final prize. Often times the patient times are times that we dread, but we don’t realize that it comes at the greatest of times when we need it the most.

I find it beneficial to do things that teach me life lessons, and that’s one of my favorite ways to treat myself.

So, order from your favorite store, and find peace in the patient process.

5. Take a social media break. Seriously. 

Log off.

It’s honestly one of the most beneficial things to do when you are going through a desperate time.

It’s hard to see others doing well when you aren’t. Most of the time though, they are hiding their problems behind the cute post. Everyone has their own problems, but it’s often hard to see that when you are down and out.

So, remove yourself from the feeds and go feed your soul elsewhere. Find something to replace the time you spend scrolling to benefit your personal needs. You will be glad you did.

Social media is not always a bad thing, it definitely has more pros than cons, but it’s often hard to win during a losing period when you feel so far behind.

It’s okay to disconnect. Connect with yourself, and then you can hop back on to your social media platforms if you even want to.

6. Take a day off and go do your favorite thing. 

Work or school can often become too much of a hassle especially when you are going through a rough patch. It is okay to have an off day.

Go do something you love the most. Whether it be sky diving or staying home and reading a book. Do something to clear your head and refreshen your body and soul.

One day can make a huge difference. It often just takes a little time. People will understand. It’s okay to treat yourself to a full day for just you.

Spend the entire day doing you and having the time of your life. You’ll enjoy having a day to be completely off. Turn off your phone. Turn off your thoughts. Be brave. Do something bold. Do you. It’ll be one of the best days of your life, and it’ll make you love yourself even more.

7. Reserve reservations for a party of 1 at your favorite restaurant. 

Date nights are overrated. Go on your own personal date. Book dinner for one at your favorite restaurant. Treat to yourself to your favorite meal. Get dessert. Buy yourself flowers.

It’ll do you well to know that you are completely sufficient even if you only have yourself. Making yourself happy is the best way to get over something difficult.

If you spend your time hating and blaming yourself you will never find inner peace and appreciation. It’s okay if you’re the only one who you feel like you can trust. Sometimes life is better that way.

Fall in love with yourself again. Loving yourself is the best thing you can do for internal healing.

8. Don’t spend all of your time alone. Go out with a group of friend. 

Spending time to yourself is very healthy for your life, but it’s also super beneficial to spend time with your crowd. Text your closest girls and guys and make a fun memory for yourself.

Surrounding yourself with people who love you will prove that you are still so loved and wanted. Laughter is the best medicine in my opinion. Personally, spending time with my friends makes any bad day better. We can joke about my problems and it makes them seem so much smaller to me.

It helps to know that people care and love you. Go out atleast one night every two weeks with your best friends. It’ll refreshen your soul, and it also helps to clear your head.

Make plans. Go to that concert. Go to the local hang out spot and just talk it out to your most trusted friend. It’ll lighten your load.

9. Declutter your life. 

This one is by far my favorite thing to do. It refreshes my soul. There are so many things that need decluttering.

Declutter your room and closet. Donate clothes you no longer wear, books, and accessories to a donation center. It’ll cheer you up mentally and physically to know that something you have that is no longer important to you could change someone else’s life for the better. It’ll prove to you that you are important to the world even in the smallest of ways.

Declutter your car. Get it all cleaned up and smelling fresh. Take a drive around town in your clean car. Let the windows down and listen to your favorite songs. You’ll be happier afterwards.

Declutter your phone. Delete unimportant emails, texts, and pictures. Especially the ones that make you unhappy or reminsceful of a hurtful situation in the past. Change things up. Change your profile pictures and wallpapers. Take some really cool pictures that make you love yourself more for the replacements. Treat yourself to a new phone case as well. Changing things up will always make you feel refreshed.

Lastly, declutter your brain. Do something that clears your head. Remove bad memories. Stop dwelling in the past. Love who you are becoming, and stop focusing on who you used to be. It’s easy to declutter materialistic things, but the most game changing thing to declutter is your brain. You have to realize that you are better off, and that the future will be far greater than the past if you will spend time working on the present. Clean it all up. Get yourself feeling good and you’ll do good things.

Declutter your entire life. It’ll make you a happier person inside and out.

10. Live the life you love. 

I mean this one with every piece of me, LIVE THE LIFE YOU LOVE.

Find your source of happiness and dwell there instead of in your problems. Live your life to the fullest. Do everything you love to do. Smile. Laugh. Find joy even in the difficult times. Remove yourself from situations that dull who you are. Shine. Do you. Breathe in. The storm will pass. Dance in the rain. Love who you are. Live the life you deserve and love.

Today, do something for you. Treat yourself like you’re the only person in the world worth loving. Love who you are. Even the flaws. Life will always have its downs, but that’s the best place to find yourself.

Treat yourself!