15 Ways To 'Treat Yo Self' On A Budget

15 Ways To 'Treat Yo Self' On A Budget

Making yourself happy doesn't have to cost a lot of money, or any money at all.

144
15 Ways To 'Treat Yo Self' On A Budget
Noah Buscher

As college students, I think one of the main issues we face on a regular basis is money related.

We've all had a weekend where we've had to stay in instead of going out with your friends, and yes we can all admit that it really freaking sucks. However, college also teaches you to "ball out on a budget", if you will. College is such a stressful time, and it requires some time for ourselves.

Treating yourself doesn't always mean spending a lot of money, or even any money at all. So if you're looking for a little inspo, here you go:

1. Try a different beverage at Starbucks.

If you're like me, coffee is a part of your everyday routine. However...I tend to stick with my same old iced-nonfat-caramel-machiatto-with-extra-caramel-drizzle. I've almost become a robot just saying that. However, sometimes the best way to treat yourself is to find something new and try it just because you can.

2. Take a bubble bath.

Trust me when I say that taking a bath after a long day is enough to make you feel lavish. Adding bath salts and bubbles and MAYBE even some wine after a long day will make you feel like you're living the rich life. Dim the lights, light some candles, sit back, and enjoy.

3. Dedicate an hour to relaxing with some Netflix, Hulu, etc.

I'm a newfound addict of the new hit series 'This Is Us'. However, I find it very hard to set aside time to watch it. With such a busy schedule, we can forget that our bodies need time to unwind and sometimes we need to just sit down for an hour.

4. Get makeup samples from ULTA and Sephora.

Maybe this is a little on the girlier side but I promise that if you come home with some makeup samples and doll yourself up a lil bit, you'll feel like a million bucks for no money at all.

5. Go for a drive somewhere new.

Sometimes we forget in the business of life that there are places outside of our little bubble. Even if it's just a drive within a 30 minutes of your home, I bet you'll be able to find somewhere that you've never been. Stay open minded, it's good for your soul.

6. Light candles always.

Trust me. Enough said.

7. Try aromatherapy.

While the diffusers can be expensive, the actual essential oils are fairly cheap and can take you to a land far far away. Okay...maybe that's a little dramatic. But seriously they smell so good and you'll feel like you're at a spa in your home.

8. Create your own steam room.

Run the shower on the highest setting, and sit on the floor or in the shower where you're not touching the water and just... breathe. Most relaxing thing ever, I swear.

9. Eat movie theatre candy while watching a movie.

Okay yeah so we all know that the movies charge crazy amounts for a box of candy. Lucky for us, Walgreens feels our college budget pain and offers deals like "2 for .99" and "buy 2 get 1 free". Eating movie theatre candy while watching a movie you've seen a trillion times will make you feel like you've never even seen it before. Maybe that's not true but seriously 'The Notebook' never gets old.

10. Go to an animal shelter.

As an avid dog lover, I'm always trying to find a cheap way to play with puppies without actually having to buy them (because ya know, dog food is expensive). Animal shelters are usually pretty good about letting you in to volunteer or whatever you want to do. Puppies fix everything, proven fact!

11. Stretch.

Take deep breaths. Stretch. Maybe watch some yoga on YouTube if you're feelin' a little fancy. Honestly though, stretching will just make you feel so much more relaxed.

12. Get yourself ice cream once a week.

This is scientifically (okay maybe not) by me who has found that your overall happiness is likely to increase if you get yourself a blizzard from DQ once, maybe twice if you're wanting to throw a little extra cash.

13. Retail therapy at Goodwill.

College students love t-shirts (don't lie, you know it's true) and it is a staple in our wardrobe. I kid you not, some of my best t-shirt finds have been in Goodwill. 10/10. Highly recommend.

14. Buy yourself a bath bomb.

Generally, bath bombs tend to run on the cheaper side. Nowadays, they're sold at many different drug stores and at ULTA and Sephora. If you're feeling especially fancy, you can even go to LUSH and get those bath bombs that are literally to die for.

15. Buy yourself brownie brittle at least once a month.

You'll just have to try it for yourself. Also scientifically proven to make you happier. Tested and approved by myself.

Even though college is a stressful time, it is also one of the best and most rewarding life experiences. Using these tricks, you may find that it is just a little easier to get through a touch week!