The Top 5 Moments In David Ortiz's Career

The Large Father has more than made his mark on the city of champions

20
Reddit

When the team announces they will retire your number before you're finished playing, you've reached legend status. It's safe to say that since 2004 David Ortiz has been nothing short of legendary throughout all of New England. By the time this gets published I'm praying he's still taking cuts at the plate and helping the Red Sox get closer to another World Series title. But even if he isn't, he will always be remembered as one of the most beloved figures in New England sports history.

Throughout his long successful career with the Red Sox, Ortiz's legacy is littered with some of the most iconic moments in Boston sports history. These, in my opinion, are the top five moments he's had in a Red Sox jersey.

5. October 13, 2013.

Down 5-1 in the bottom of the 8th inning at Fenway Park in game two of the American League Championship game. Bases loaded. Papi steps into the batters' box. One pitch was all he needed. Detriot Tiger's Joaquin Benoit threw a cutter that hung right over the middle of the plate that Ortiz tattooed into the Red Sox bullpen in right field. With his four-run-blast, Papi tied the game and gave the Red Sox the momentum they needed to tie the series 1-1. His shot over the right field wall not only brought the team back but also produced one of the most recognizable images in recent Red Sox history.

4.

There are some milestones in sports that stand out more than others: 30,000 points in basketball, a grand slam in tennis, 50 passing touchdowns in a season. In baseball, some of the most renowned power hitters in history belong to an exclusive group known only as the 500 Home Run Club. On September 15, 2015, Ortiz joined these baseball greats after hitting home runs number 499 and 500 in the same game off Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Matt Moore. Papi became just the 27th player in baseball history to reach the 500 home run milestone. This season he passed Red Sox legends Jimmy Foxx and Ted Williams on the all-time home run list. He currently has the 17th most home runs in baseball history.

3.

For 86 years the Boston Red Sox had not won a World Series title. They were one out away in 1986 when Bill Buckner let a ground ball roll through his legs and into the outfield. The error would allow the Mets to score a run and win the game. After a loss like that Red Sox fans felt like they might not ever win another World Series title. This all changed in 2004. After becoming the only team in baseball history to come back and win a series after previously being down 3-0 (more on this soon) the Red Sox swept the St. Louis Cardinals and won their first World Series since they traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees. Ortiz hit .308 with a home run and four RBIs to help the Sox complete the sweep. Papi and his 2004 teammates, the self-dubbed "Idiots," will always be remembered as the team that did the impossible: they reversed the curse.

2.

In route to the 2004 title the Red Sox rewrote history, multiple times. Not only was it their first championship in 86 years, but they became the first team in baseball history to win a series after being down three games to none. Better yet, the historic comeback came against the arch-rival New York Yankees. With an abysmal start to the series which saw the Sox get absolutely walloped in game three, 19-8, there was little hope in Beantown of a comeback. Nevertheless, after a stolen base by Dave Roberts in the bottom of the 9th of game four followed by a game-tying single by Bill Mueller, the Red Sox were still alive. In the bottom of the 12th with Manny Ramírez on base, Ortiz came to the plate. Yankee's pitcher Paul Quantrill threw a high and inside fastball which Papi crushed over the right field wall like we've seen him do so many times before. By doing so, Ortiz became the first player in Major League Baseball history to hit multiple walk-off home runs in the same postseason. For the rest of his career, the Large Father would continue to deliver for the Sox when they needed him the most, including another walk-off hit in Game 5. Stemming from his many late game heroics, some of the most respected names in baseball refer to Ortiz as the best clutch hitter of all time.

1. April 20th, 2013.

After terror struck the hearts and minds of Americans everywhere in the wake of the horrific bombing at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, the Red Sox had a game to play. Before the game started, the Red Sox held a ceremony to honor those who were victim to the senseless bombing that occurred and to honor all those who dropped everything to do what they could to help. In what President Obama has called one of his "proudest moments" as President of the United States, Ortiz addressed the Fenway crowd, people of Boston, and really the entire United States when he said,

"All right, Boston. This jersey that we wear today, it doesn't say 'Red Sox'. It says 'Boston'. We want to thank you, Mayor Menino, Governor Patrick, the whole police department, for the great job that they did this past week. This is our fucking city. And nobody's going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong."

It was a moment that invigorated the crowd, brought hope to the city of Boston, and truly showed the rest of America what it means to be Boston Strong. Behind his leadership, the Red Sox would go on to win the World Series that year. Papi was named the MVP of the series after batting .688 with an on-base plus slugging percentage of 1.948. The Red Sox were an incredible team to watch that year. They carried the city of Boston on their backs out of one of the darkest times in its history all the way up to the very top with duck boats in a joyful parade through the streets.

We will miss you, David. Thank you for everything you've ever done. Red Sox Nation is forever grateful. May your legacy live forever.