If You're Too Busy For A Relationship In College
Dating

To The College Student Who Is Too Overwhelmed For A Relationship, You're Strong Enough On Your Own

Sorry, I can't date you because you don't fit into my color-coded, pre-scheduled day.

905
woman working on laptop alone

With the holidays coming up I'd like to share this fact: I. am. too. busy. for. boys.

We all hear constantly, from parents, relatives, and friends: "when are you going to settle down and find someone?"

The answer: once I'm done with vet school, or whatever else I want to achieve.

I am taking 19 credits, working 30 hours a week, desperately trying to find time to have some alone time when a resident isn't knocking or I'm not studying organic chemistry for eight hours straight. I barely have time to go to the gym, or lie on my floor and cry. Am I really going to have time to go on a date with another Chad and make small talk about the Patriots scores until my ears fall off? Nope, definitely not. Personally, I would rather spend my few moments of free time with my friends or with animals.

Even though I've explained this multiple times, I still get the family member asking me about boyfriends or presuming I am homosexual since I've never had a relationship. I just don't have the time or energy to put into another person when I am barely sleeping six hours a night. I have pre-scheduled shower times, do you really think I can go out and get coffee and share my feelings?

Vet school is the hardest thing I might have to do in my whole life, and I'm sure that others can agree with their chosen careers. I will not lose sight of my dreams because someone told me I should find a boyfriend.

"But being with someone might help you relieve stress!" Find me an unproblematic boy who is over 6-ft, willing to sit with me while I do homework in complete silence, hang out maybe once a week, barely text me, spend time with my friends, and then I'll believe you. I don't want someone to have to sacrifice their time when I am not willing to sacrifice mine for theirs. It's not fair to either of us.

If you're in the same boat as me, do what I do, and just ramble about everything you're doing until they get overwhelmed and stop asking. If they don't stop, kindly lie and say you're currently in the midst of seeing someone and then describe the plot of an obscure romance movie you watched when you were 13. This should work on family members, friends, and the occasional boy you really don't want to talk to.

Always remember: do not be ashamed of not having anybody, because it means you're plenty strong on your own. Don't focus on the pressures placed on you to find someone and settle down. You don't need validation from anyone on your life and your decisions. Please do not jump into a relationship with the first person you can because you feel you have to. If things work out, great, but make sure you can handle all the commitments you're juggling.