The Busy Life Of A Student

The Busy Life Of A Student

The life of a student is hectic and stressful, but it's definitely worth it.

“Why are you always so busy and stressed?,” I was asked on the phone a few days ago while fast-walking to my next class. “It’s college, you’re just supposed to be having fun.”

Yes. That’s what everyone assumes. And it is true, I have a blast at school. But you only have four years of college and you want to make the most of it. So what do you do? Get involved...in everything.

We go to school for more than just the educational purpose. We go to make memories, have fun, be independent, etc. But finding that balance is hard. Especially when you are on a huge campus with so many opportunities. We want to do everything we can.

I have what my generation calls “FOMO.” Fear of missing out. I hear people in my house laughing and talking? I want to join. You’re going to that club's meeting? I’ll go too. You’re going out with friends? I’m coming! This is the time to meet new people, new friends, new connections. So yes, the social aspect is important.

This semester is rough. Classes are tiring and I have more homework and tests than I ever have before. The classes are beginning to become more and more important as they are aimed toward my major and I want to succeed. But I also want to have fun and be involved in extra activities. So I find myself constantly on the move with a million tasks and errands and meetings running through my mind. I don’t think I have yet had a day of just relaxation.

Most of us like to stay busy, but I personally tend to try to fit too much in one day. My planner is full of the squiggles that are my life. I’m not sure I would survive or make any deadlines without it.

Parents don't realize how much we do. I attend at least three classes a day, I have homework, studying, sorority responsibilities, personal responsibilities, extracurricular responsibilities, meetings, etc. It seems also that everything we do always has meetings. You want to study abroad? You have to attend a ton of meetings, meet with people, etc. You want to be on a committee? Same responsibility. Then you add in your personal fun...like game days. Game days are ALL DAY. You may be thinking...are they necessary? I think it would not only disappoint myself, but also my family if I were to not attend the football games. They are the best days of college. It’s almost as if it’s another task on my long “To-Do List” (which is something I make every morning for myself).

So yes, if you’re wondering, college is hard and busy. It’s a full-time job. Sometimes I get stressed, or miss deadlines, but I learn my lesson. I am figuring out how to balance everything, choose what’s important, and find time for myself. It’s getting me prepared to step out into the big, real, scary world that awaits me after college. I love college because I get to decide what I do, but sometimes I want to do way too much. I overbook myself easily, but at least I am getting the full experience. I’ll admit I complain a lot about being busy, but I would rather be involved and make the most of my four years. I have already made a ton of friends, connections, memories, etc. My studying has paid off.

Although in the moment I may not be happiest about having such a long day full of activities, I wouldn’t trade it for anything.